We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

Colorado is amazing; therefore, I am having trouble with narrowing down our location of choice. Here is the information (SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME) :-) I originally looked at Grand Lake area, but my husband doesn't want to pull the trailer through the mountain passes. I looked at Estes Park area, but RV resorts have mixed reviews.

1. 2 couples

2. 2 small dogs

3. want beginning mountain biking trails

4. want to road cycle

5. want to hike and run

6. prefer not too touristy of place

7. will be pulling 32' travel trailer--my husband is reluctant to pull through the mountains, so a close "home base" is preferred

8. Full hook-ups are required

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
178 reviews
1. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

I have relatives who come from Oklahoma to South Fork every year, and they love it. They pull a big travel trailer. You only have Raton Pass and LaVeta Pass--pretty mild, as mountain passes go, and they don't have any trouble.

oklahoma
Level Contributor
28 posts
2. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

What about the areas of Grand Lake? Estes park? How are the roads in comparison?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

Salida fits the bill but the RV park there is pretty basic and the spots are very close to each other. Though it is right on the river. The town is perfect for everything else on your list. www.nowthisiscolorado.com/salida-colorado will give you an idea of the town. The sight will give you an idea of the area. Maybe someone else will know a more attractive RV park.

As to Estes, I think it is pretty touristy, Tough for the pups too if you are wanting hiking in RMNP. Grand Lake is less touristy but for the Mtn Biking, Running, Road Biking I'd look at Winter Park. I have no idea about RV's there, again hopefully someone else will.

Edited: 8:17 pm, November 04, 2013
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
140 reviews
4. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

I told angeladede about Grand Lake and Winter Park including RV park suggestions on her earlier post.

tripadvisor.com/…53662462

To avoid Berthoud Pass, this is the route to take to Grand Lake and Winter Park.

http://mapq.st/1apbxdJ

Not that I would want to do it, but I have seen all types of RV's going over Trail Ridge Road through RMNP. Here is an RV journal for a trip over Trail Ridge Road with great photos.

rv-dreams-journal.com/2013/05/trail-ridge-ro…

Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

I would 2nd a look at the Buena Vista (BV) or Salida area.

Arkansas river close by if either of you into fishing or rafting.

Hot springs (Mt. Princeton and Cottonwood), St. Elmo ghost town. Collegiate Peaks with tons of hiking.

BV is a slight tourist area due to the rafting in the summer but nowhere on the scale of an Estes Park.

Matt

Colorado
Level Contributor
444 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

Depending on how high the biking ranks on your priority list, I would say some of the most enjoyable road and mountain biking I've had was in the Aspen/Snowmass, Vail, and Summit County areas. It can be somewhat challenging to find good road riding in particular in some areas, as there just are not a whole lot of roads in the Mountains, and at least for me, I'm not a fan of riding on most of the major roadways.

Overall Summit county probably offers the best combo of road and easier mountain biking. My personal favorite road riding though is in Aspen/Snowmass area, as going up to Maroon bells and the other canyon next to it are just fantastic rides.

Getting to any of those locations only requires going over Vail pass and through the I70 tunnel, both are pretty tame, just have the expect long climb and descent, but it's on double lane interstate.

Now.. finding full hookup RV site is probably the harder part, there might be something down along roaring fork between aspen and glenwood. I don't know of much near vail, Summit county has one place I've seen near breck.

State parks can be one of nice places to stay, many have full hookups and are. Honestly you might want to consider Cheyenne Mountain State park. It is very near colorado springs, but might make a good home base for you.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
13,238 posts
140 reviews
7. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

From angeladede's other post -

"Also, we want a more "Colorado" feel... LOL NOT a paved, RV resort with no shade, no trees, no "outdoor" feel.... suggestions? We will be traveling in June 2014."

As LaughingLab said, finding full hookup RV sites meeting the above want list will be tough. There is virtually no shade at the RV sites at Cheyenne Mountain State Park. Many of the state parks only have electric. Mueller State Park near Colorado Springs would be better than Cheyenne Mountain from a setting and scenery perspective but again, Mueller only has electric hookups.

Edited: 4:27 pm, November 05, 2013
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,921 posts
67 reviews
8. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

I am no expert on RV parks but the one in Salida does have trees. http://www.fourseasonsrvresort.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Kw_2GOfLs is the realtors site it is a video of the park. We stayed there this fall I have no idea if it was with "new" owners or if it is still for sale.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
178 reviews
9. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

Durango is further west but would still be a good option from Oklahoma...interstate all the way to Albuquerque, then an easy drive to Durango, with lots of options for things to do and several RV parks. You might put that on your list to investigate.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
10. Re: RV/Biking/Hiking/Running/Dog Friendly

Crested Butte has tons of mountain bike trails. As to road biking, my husband trained for a 500 mile road bike tour here in CB. For me, the area is a hiker's dream, some of the nicest hiking trails & wildflowers anywhere.

They opened a new RV park this past summer:

http://www.crestedbuttervresort.com

It is high elevation, though, especially coming from OK, so may take some acclimation.