We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

Hi yall!

I'm planning a ski week (4 nights or so) over Christmas for my boyfriend and me. I'm from NY, live in GA, and have never skied out West. I'm looking for ski-in/ski-out resorts in an area that might not be too busy or trendy (high hopes, right?)

I was hoping for a decent rate ($500/night or so?) for a nice resort but The Ritz in Beaver Creek is closer to $1200/night!

He is an expert skier, I am intermediate. WE like to dine out but also like our down time. Prefer as little hassle getting to the slopes as possible. Will be renting skis.

Any suggestions for a ski resort? Doesn't have to be Colorado.....

Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

Well the Ritz is the Ritz at one the most expensive resorts in the Country.

You could get something very nice at Keystone in your budget.

http://www.vrbo.com/492133 I am not a big fan of skiing out of River Run it is busier than the other base area, Mountain House, and the River Run run gets crazy busy but you could download on the Gondola or take Ina's Way over.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
10,228 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

>>Any suggestions for a ski resort? Doesn't have to be Colorado...<<

Will be back later with suggestions.

In the meantime...there is a Winter Sports forum on Trip Advisor where you can ask for advice on resorts outside of Colorado: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12335-Winter_S…

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,705 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

As you know, Christmas is one of the most intense, busy times of the season. Still, $500 will buy you a reasonably decent hotel away from the slopes - just not the Ritz. As suggested, Keystone is a good way to go.

Given the fact that you only have four days, I'll make another suggestion. You can hop a four hour flight from ATL-SLC then be in Park City in just 35 minutes. Take a $40 shuttle and don't rent a car. You'll have access to three world class resorts, tons of restaurants and shops. Although $500/night is pretty low during holiday, you'll likely find more value in lodging, as well. Worth considering.

Have fun.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

I like the Park City suggestion! Sounds fun! I had no idea that $500/night was on the low side. I can likely be a little flexible on that. I'm looking at Telluride right now. SO MANY CHOICES!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

quse56, yep lots of great places! I am confused by what you are wanting. "trendy" to me is Aspen, Vail/BC, Telluride. Those are all pretty swanky places.

Edited: 1:14 pm, October 28, 2013
Dublin, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Mexico City
Level Contributor
994 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

Another option is Steamboat, you can flight right in to Hayden about 30-40minutes away, direct on Delta from Atlanta. The Steamboat Grand http://steamboatgrand.com/hotel-rooms/ would fit your budget and is right on the slopes. There are a ton of other lodging options too with a private shuttle or on the free bus route.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

Thank you!! I guess by trendy I mean overpopulated and super touristy. I would like upscale accommodations but in a cute, fun area. Agreed that Vail and Aspen are what I would call trendy. Thank you all so much for your help! I've heard good things about Steamboat. Will check out the Grand !

Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
660 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

I love Park City but my vote obviously is for Breckenridge, tons of fun places at night, awesome skiing and not too trendy like Aspen or Vail.

No offense, Keystone is great but doesn't have the nightlife like Breck does so hope you choose my favorite Breck :)

If not you won't be disappointed in Park City either...

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

All the majors will be super crowded with tourist. Most all tourist with few locals on the hill. One it is too crowded for most locals and any locals that work in the industry are all working that week not out skiing.

If you want a less touristy/ busy spot then you need to come at a less busy time or choose a place not so trendy.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never been skiing out West. Need suggestions!

I guess that's my problem. I don't know what the trendy areas are... other than Vail and Aspen. I'm avoiding those. Sounds like Steamboat or Park City are more what I'm looking for! Thank you!