We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

OK
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

We have 2 teen girls. Any ideas for a 4-5 day trip? Been to Colorado in the winter but not in the summer. Thank you.

Ridgway, Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

okiedokie where will you be concentrating your trip? Flying into Denver? I have a "must see in Colorado" to do list and have lived here most of my life. I am on the western slope which I feel is the prettiest part of the state. If you don't want to spend 2 days driving though you might be better off sticking to the Front Range, again assuming you are coming in through Denver.

Ridgway, Colorado
Level Contributor
23 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28927-c7633/Colorado…

Check out this link for some of my suggestions!

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

We go to Colorado often in the summer (winter too) and love the southwest area!! Telluride and Ouray are beautiful towns that were once mining towns. The mountains and scenery in that area are incredible. Telluride is in a box canyon, which means that the road dead ends there and on 3 sides the town is surrounded by 14,000 foot peaks. The road between Ouray and Silverton (another old mining town) is called the Million Dollar Highway and has the most spectacular scenery I have ever seen. I have driven that route a number of times and NEVER get tired of it b/c it is so beautiful.

If you are flying you would want to fly to Durango, Grand Junction or Montrose to be in that SW corner of Colorado. Mesa Verde is also in that area - incredible ruins of old indian cliff dwellings, very interesting.

I have been to other areas in Colorado, but I like this area the best.

Omaha
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

I just posted a trip report about our recent vacation to Summit County, CO. It is wonderful in the summer. Much to do and beautiful. Breckenridge and Frisco, Vail is nearby. It is about an hour and half drive up from Denver.

OK
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

Thank you so much for the ideas! We will most likely fly into Denver. Our other option is to drive in from the South toward Colorado Springs.

Carmel
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

Ditto on the Western Slope, hands down. I've lived on the Front Range and the Western Slope, and there's nothing prettier than the San Juans, in my humble opinion. Telluride, Ouray, Montrose, the drive over Monarch Pass trump the I-70 corridor in my book.

7. Re: August vacation ideas? Places? Things to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 16, 2009