We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route from Co. Springs, through Fl. Fossil beds, Nanthrop...

Smith Center...
Level Contributor
68 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Route from Co. Springs, through Fl. Fossil beds, Nanthrop...

to Gunnison, how is this road, is it worth the extra time if we are not on a schedule? Thanks

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Helicopter Tour...
654 reviews
from $398.99*
$479.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
367 reviews
from $299.99*
$399.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Combo Tour: Helicopter and...
118 reviews
from $469.99*
$499.00
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route from Co. Springs, through Fl. Fossil beds, Nanthrop...

Will you be in your own vehicle? I have not driven the road that goes through the national monument then loops around to Eleven Mile and Spinney Mountain State Park, but I believe much of it is unpaved. Is that the road you are talking about? I can't tell you what those road conditions are...maybe someone else will be able to do so.

I have driven to Nathrop and St. Elmo ghost town and I would say that is worth the drive, especially if you are not on a schedule. Part of that road is unpaved, as well, so visitors in a rental should be wary of violating their rental agreement. At the time we were there, we had to go back to Highway 24 to Buena Vista to drive Cottonwood Pass to and through Taylor Park, to Almont and Gunnison. The road that cuts between Mt Princeton Hot Springs and the Cottonwood Pass Road was, if I remember correctly, not passable at the time we were there. The west side of Cottonwood Pass is unpaved, so I'd not recommend it in a rental vehicle, but it is a beautiful drive if you are in your own car.

2. Re: Route from Co. Springs, through Fl. Fossil beds, Nanthrop...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 27, 2014