We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

colorado in November

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
181 posts
309 reviews
Save Topic
colorado in November

We want to bring our family to colorado in November to ride the Polar Express/ durango train. I was thinking about the week of the 26th. I have never been skiing and my husband who loved to ski is no longer able dueto extensive knee surgery. Also we will be traveling with our kiddos who will turn one and four while we are there. We were thinking snow mobiling, hiking, horseback riding. The thought of being in snow covered mountains sounds really appealing and my son is crazy about snow (since its an oddity where we live). My husband said there may not be any snow that early. If we are not going specifically to snow ski, is this a good time to go? Any thoughts on what areas may be the best if we wanted to snow mobile? Or other things the kids might enjoy?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: colorado in November

My guess is you won't be snowmobiling in November as there will not be enough snow cover. I would go later in the season if that's what you are looking for.

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
181 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: colorado in November

Would there be any snow?

Flowood, MS
Level Contributor
181 posts
309 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: colorado in November

Hows December?

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: colorado in November

Durango Mpuntain Resort (ski area) is almost always open for the Thanksgiving holiday. Skiing is usually only open on a handful of runs where they can make snow, and the price for lift tickets is reduced. Some years the natural snow is excellent and the entire mountain is open, but most years are pretty thin that early in the season. The Polar Express is a big hit with the kids.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
412 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: colorado in November

Were you planning to fly or drive? There will be snow for skiing by late November, but it is a little early for snowmobiling or other snow-related activities. After mid-December you'll have a better choice of winter activities.

As far as snowmobiling - the one year old isn't old enough for a tour, and depending on the tour operator, the 4 year old might be. San Juan Backcountry offers Santa's Playground (kids sled behind snowmobiles, all ages fun): sanjuanbackcountry.com/santas-playground-sil…

Molas Pass Snowmobile Tours (Durango): sanjuanbackcountry.com/silverton-snowmobile-…

Wolf Creek Snowmobile Tours (Pagosa Springs): http://www.wolfcreeksnowmobile.com/

DMR Snowmobiling: http://www.snowmobileadventures.com/

Personally, I love the Polar Express Train. I had a great experience when I took my family a few years ago. (niece was 3.5, nephew was 8, adults enjoyed through kids)

Activities at Durango Mountain Resort (other than skiing): …durangomountainresort.com/durango-mountain-…

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: colorado in November

I think it's a good time to come, especially if you could time your trip so that part of it will be after December 7 for the Snowmobile Express. That sounds like so much fun! We may have to bring the grandkids!

Late November/early December usually has enough snow somewhere for playing, but usually without blizzard conditions and bad roads. Usually! There could definitely be snow storms, and we hope there will be. But usually it warms up enough to melt the roads in the daytime, and it's not as cold as January-February...so better for playing outside. The nice thing about Durango is that you may or may not have snow right in town but if not, you have several options for getting to higher country to find some snow...either Durango Mountain, Silverton, or Wolf Creek Pass.

Another fun thing to do when it is cold and snowy outside is to go to the hot springs pools. There's one near Durango and several at Pagosa Springs, plus Ouray.

The Durango Discovery Museum has a Kids' Zone for little ones 4 and under. www.durangodiscovery.org/visit/discoverykids/

And there will be community activities going on as the Christmas season gets underway.

7. Re: colorado in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 13, 2014