We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

15 days in Colorado

Vasto, Italy
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
15 days in Colorado

Hi everybody, ?im writing you from Italy and I'd like to have your help abount my 15 days trip in Colorado from august 15th to september 1st.

I already visited in my previous trips in the past years Mesa Verde NP, Rocky Mountains NP, Colorado NM, Black Canyon of the Gunnisson, Curecanti Nm and Great Sand Dunes NP.

Here is my idea:

15) arrive at Denver Airport in the evening and night in airport zone

16) Denver airport-Garden of the Gods-Pikes Peak and night in a B&B in the Mueller SP

17) Mueller SP-Florissant Fossil Beds NM-Greats Sand Dunes NP (already visited, this time I would like to visit the Medano Creek zone, I read something about the Medano Road, do you know if a 4wd in necessary or a 2wd high clearence is good enough?)

18) GSDNP-Pagosa Springs-Durango

19) Durango- Silverton-South Alpine Road Loop-Lake City (here there is a big question: I saw a video on youtube about the alpine loop and the author wrote me that in normal condition, no rain, a 2wd drive caris ok but the hotel manager in Lake City said me by phone that a 4wd is necessary. Someone have informations about that? I will rent a SUV in Denver but they can't never guarantee a 4wd car)

20) Lake City-North Alpine Road Loop-Ouray-Telluride (same question about the 4wd)

21) Telluride-Natural Bridges NM-Blanding, UT

22) Blanding-Moab, UT (third time for me there)

23) Moab-Dinosaur NM

24) Dinosaur-Glenwood Springs

25) Glenwood Springs-Vail

26) Vail-Steamboat Springs

27) Steamboat Springs-State Forest SP-Fort Collins (via Cache la Poudre)

28) Fort Collins-Estes Park (second time for me in Rocky Mountains NP9

29) Estes Park-Georgetown

30) Georgetown (in these two days i would like to visit mt evans, Echo lake, Golden, Golden Canyon SP)

31) Georgetown-Peak to Peak Road-Denver

If you have something to suggest me as hikes, viewpoints and everythin gyou want I'll be happy. Very important for me is understand the road conditions of the alpine loop

thanks in advance, Derio

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,137 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 15 days in Colorado

beyond the Hard Tack Mine my thought was the road would get more difficult and I do think beyond that point it is 4wd only. So I would stick with the 4wd recommendation as I'm pretty sure it's 4wd beyond that point. It's very pretty, what little we got to see of it. Be aware of rental agreement with cars...many/most say no gravel roads. We've driven them in rental vehicles despite that. We drive gravel roads every day at home and no damage ever from them, the pebbles that fly up are from the regular roads. I'm sure others would mention it so just something to be aware of. Lake City is a neat town/area.

Georgetown is a great choice many will disagree, but we love it. I love the creek running all through town around the houses as well. The train was nice too (though not really a loop in the way you'd think of it). They have a mine tour as well. We came from Estes to Georgetown we enjoyed the drive.

Golden was also a neat town--Coors, RR museum, and good canyon drive.

The Durango Silverton Train is a popular way to take in the scenery.

Fort Collins online reserve to see the tour at New Belgium Brewing--a very neat facility.

Glenwood Springs--great choice, we love this town. Highlights: Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park (can just do the cave tour if you wish and enjoy the tram and view), Hot Springs Pool, Glenwood Canyon Brewing Company (great food). I've heard Hanging Lake Trail is wonderful. Cedar Lodge is a great lodging choice--great grounds, innkeepers and half the price of other lodging in town.

Estes Park--Comfort Inn was a great stay (but we had a family discount). The Estes Tram is there as well to take in.

Edited: 3:05 pm, June 24, 2013
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 15 days in Colorado

30) Georgetown (in these two days i would like to visit mt evans, Echo lake, Golden, Golden Canyon SP)

31) Georgetown-Peak to Peak Road-Denver

This does not make much sense to me. It would be a lot of back and forth via a very busy interstate that currently has a long construction zone. It would make more sense to stay in Golden a night than back track to Georgetown.

Vasto, Italy
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 15 days in Colorado

Thank you for your answers. I also thought to rent a jeep in Silverton for two days but I saw the rates for one day is 150 $ plus tax and they rent 8 am to 5 pm so i don't know if is possible to rent a jeep for more than one day. But i will think about that after my rental in Denver if i will not have a 4wd car

Vasto, Italy
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 15 days in Colorado

I am still thinking about the Alpine Loop. I know the rental car dont cover for damages of gravel roads but in a past trip i drove potash road and shafer trail and I 'd like to know if i can compare the difficulty of these roads with the Alpine Loop. Thanks in advance

5. Re: 15 days in Colorado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 27, 2014