My husband and I are splurging on a 3 night stay at DHS to celebrate a milestone birthday. The stay at DHS is embedded in 9 night trip we will be starting and ending in Denver. Would really appreciate any advice on our skeletal itinerary that can help us take full advantage of our time getting to and coming from DHS.
Outline of plan so far:
- Thursday: fly into Denver in evening
- Saturday: visit black canyon in morning before heading to ouray for night. Is this best place to stay? Hope to have time for a short hike and jeep ride this afternoon and Sunday morning
- Sunday: drive million dollar highway to Durango, stop by silverton. No interest in train but would like a little time to explore. Get to Mesa verde by Late afternoon. Stay at far view lodge in park.
- Monday: hike Mesa verde in morning. Head toward dunton hot springs to check in by early afternoon
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednsday nights at DHS
- Friday, see national monument, drive back toward Denver and spend night somewhere interesting (vail?) but close enough to reach airport Saturday mid day without too much stress.
-Saturday- leave Denver in afternoon.
What would you change/add to make this a trip we will always remember? We don't mind splurging for a special experience but also can be happy in a simple and beautiful or quirky location. Our main objectives for this trip are to reconnect with nature (we live in manhattan so trees and flowers and non rodentia animals are rare), see awesome natural beauty, and enjoy each others company.