We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
406 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

Thanks everyone for your help in selecting the locations for our trip.

fv1989 - your suggestion for Riverwood on Fall River was exactly what we were looking for! This worked out perfectly for two couples. We went with Phase III. Also, thanks for the Liquor Max recommendation. Great selection!

Alli, Babalax, HSSTraveler - Dillon was a perfect stop over for A-Basin! Thanks for suggesting that city and for suggesting the Ptarmigan Lodge. This also was a great find for two couples and we absolutely loved being able to walk the lake and also walk to Pug Ryan. I enjoyed their beer as well.

Everyone :) - so many people to name that helped in selecting a place to propose. Thanks to everyone for those great suggestions. Wait for it........he did it in the mountains :)!!

Trip Report to Follow................

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

We arrived at 8am on May 1st. We flew a non-stop flight from New Orleans to Denver. Super easy flight and it allowed us to get there early. It was snowing on arrival and we could see white for miles! We knew we were in for a good time! So excited to be here and also to see it snowing.

We headed to the rental car shuttle and the shuttle brought us to Enterprise. We got the car easy enough and the people there were extremely nice. We got the car for $114 total. Off we go on our way to the mountains or so we thought! Who gets lost in the airport? We did :) good times! We couldn't see anything and realized we made it all the way back to the terminal parking area. We had to get a parking ticket and go back through the gates. We had a good laugh about that one. It was snowing and that is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

Our plan was to walk around Denver for awhile but since it was snowing we just headed towards Estes. We missed Snooze for breakfast (next time) and ended up stopping at the Egg and I off of I-25. It was close to a Walmart and we had to pick up snacks for the cabin so it worked. We stopped at the Liquor Max in Loveland. Great place with lots of craft beer options. We got ten different beers and that was more than enough for our stay! We took our time on the Big Thompson Canyon and our friends loved the drive. We stopped for lots of pictures in the snow along the way. When we arrived at Riverwood Cabins, we were all extremely happy with our choice! Great place on Fall River. Also, it is so close and convenient to town. We had the best view of the river and snow from the living room . We made no plans that day except to enjoy some good beer and play in the snow. It was the perfect day outside! The fireplace and hot tub worked nicely at the end of it :)

Next day we woke up and our friends wanted to visit the Stanely. We drove there and had breakfast while our friends waited for a tour. After breakfast, we walked and took pictures of the grounds. My husband and I went off to the rock museum and our friends did the tour. They said they really enjoyed the tour. After, we all went downtown and walked around a good bit. Then we headed to Snowy Peaks Winery. What a cozy little place and the lady that helped us was so nice! We picked out a couple of cheeses, meats, crackers, fruit, nuts, etc and grabbed a table. Then we got the wine flights. 5 wines for $3?!?!? That is unheard of! Loved all of them. Then we headed to Estes Park Brewery and enjoyed a flight there too. The owner here is also a pleasure to talk to and we had a great time. We ended the night by the fire and hot tub enjoying the snow and views!

*Side Note: this is the night our friends got engaged. It was beautiful. He had us go on the deck with the camera. He brought her outside by the river and got down on one knee. It was beautiful because of the snow everywhere. Perfect setting with the river in the backdrop. And we were able to record and take pictures of everything! She loved it. She also said she preferred the mountain setting. :)*

Next morning, we headed out early for snowshoeing in RMNP. We rented our gear from the Rocky Mountain Shop. It was only $6 per person and that included the walking poles. We parked at Bear Lake and hiked to Nymph Lake. It was a very short hike. We didn't want to over extend our friends because they were having trouble breathing in the high altitude. The hike is very peaceful and I enjoyed just sitting by the frozen lake and taking in the beautiful mountains. It was nice to run into the locals and everyone was shocked of snowshoeing in May and how much fresh snow was on the ground. It was a lot of fun and we all enjoyed it! We headed to Mary's Lodge for lunch. I guess we did wear out our friends after all. They crashed after lunch!! My husband and I headed back to the park and straight for Hidden Valley. We brought sleds with us (borrowed from the friendly manager at Riverwood). It was so much fun sledding and we were the only ones there! We stayed for the whole afternoon and wore ourselves out. We headed back to the cabin, but our friends were still worn out. So my husband and I decided to go to Wapiti Pub and check out the beer and food selection. Once again, we ended the night by the fire and hot tub. :)

Next day, we woke up early to head to A-Basin. I decided to take the Peak to Peak Route. I should have taken 72 somewhere along 7 but some how managed to take 7 all the way!! What a detour :) and I was so lost in the beauty of the drive that I didn't notice till we reached Lyons! Lol we all laughed about that one because it took us WAY out of the way. I had to pass through Boulder and then I took 119 to get back in that direction. I know I could have gone through Golden but I really wanted to take the other route. It was a fun adventure and we got a lovely drive out of it. Too bad it was way before noon or a beer at Oskar Blues would have worked. We finally arrived at A-Basin and we did snowboarding at the Basin. We all had a great time. It even snowed while we were there and we absolutely loved it! The parking was a bit tricky but we managed. I ended up on the deck with coffee and baileys watching everyone ski. I liked A-Basin and glad that it was such a perfect day! After the long day, we headed to the Best Western in Dillon. Great location on the lake and right near Pug Ryan's. We stayed at Pug Ryan's for awhile and drank their beer :) We later took a walk around the lake and sat in the hot tub. The Hotel was perfectly fine for a one night stay and I thought it was an excellent choice so close to the basin and also the interstate.

The next morning we were up and off to Denver (after breakfast and a walk by the lake). We were able to check into Hotel Teatro early. So it appeared our friends were done and stayed in the room the rest of the trip (LOL). OK not for us! So my husband and I left after checking in and went to explore the downtown area. We walked to Great Divide Brewery! Loved that place!! We were there during a Rockies game and it was so lively downtown. I loved the atmosphere. After Great Divide, we headed to the Falling Tap House. We had lunch and beer here. Great times all around! Next we stopped at Delaneys Cigar Bar. We were able to enjoy a cigar and a couple of beers. We then hit 16th street mall and kind of just walked around for awhile. By the time we were done, it was dinner time. Our friends stayed in, but we headed to Tag. It was close and convenient. I enjoyed this place and the stuff we ordered was very tasty (taco sushi, seafood potstickers, lemongrass chicken, matador roll).

We headed to the airport bright and early on May 6th. The time flew by to fast!! This was just a quick getaway because we found such cheap airfare, but man I wish we would have stayed a couple days longer!! We enjoyed the trip very much. Reviews of the lodging and other places should be posted soon.

Once again.....thanks everyone :) and sorry for any typos!!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,022 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

If you could only see the grin on my face! Trip reports like yours make the time spent helping people on TA worth every minute. Of course, I can not take credit for the beautiful snow! I was actually in Estes/RMNP that Tuesday through Friday so I know how very pretty it was. Congratulations to you on helping your friend stage such a gorgeous proposal and congratulations to them! Thank you for taking the time to report back.

Do you know about Tripwow here on TA? You can easily make a free slideshow of some of your photos and post the link on this thread and send the link to others. It would be a nice memento for your friends, too.

http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/

Edited: 9:01 pm, May 07, 2013
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,162 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

A grin on my face, too! We all knew the mountain setting would be just the thing for a proposal. ;) So glad to hear you had fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

Perfect! Thanks for the report. Come back in summer sometime it is lovely too!

It is always nice to hear from folks that make the most of their stay here. It certainly sounds like you did!

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

Thanks everyone :) we did have a wonderful time. I love Colorado and wish we could visit every year. We will definitely go one summer and I believe I will have to check out the southwestern part.

I did not know about Tripwow :) thanks for sharing that! I will have to check it out and get some pics posted.

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
406 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

I do have a couple of pics posted on Flickr...........not all though!

www.flickr.com/photos/traveler_at_heart_09

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,725 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

Lovely! Thanks for sharing!

8. Re: Let it Snow, Let it Snow | Trip Report May 1 - May 6

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 11, 2014