We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Colorado itinerary

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Help with Colorado itinerary

I previously posted and plans are starting to come together, but I need some help. So here's my situation. I am coming to Colorado April 9 (late arrival)-15, and I have a conference the 11-12 in Denver. When we arrive, we will drive straight to ?? somewhere for a day (I was thinking Colorado springs), stay there for the night and day, and then head back to Denver that evening. Then head to next location (Breckenridge??) the 12th in the evening, Maybe ski 13 and 14, and... I don't know what the 15th.

- Can I do (driving or hiking) Pike's Peak and God's Garden in one day? I'd love to hike it! How long would that take, at least one way?

- What is a good place to stay around Pike's peak? Do people usually stay in colorado springs?

- Any rafting happening in April? Kayaking? Would love to do that on our last day!

- Barring that, suggestions for a last day other than shopping? I did see a suggestion to go to Frisco. We'll have a car, so could go 1-2 hours out without a problem. If we're not skiing, would it be worth it to make a day trip to vail?

- Since my schedule has to be split into a one day and a three day trip, would you actually Switch around and do a day for Breckenridge at the beginning and three days in and around colorado springs in the end? Any other recommendations for how to plan this better.

I really appreciate all the suggestions from all of you. Thanks so much for the time!!

Thibodaux, Louisiana
Level Contributor
129 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Colorado itinerary

If you decide to do Colorado Springs (i'm not saying don't do Frisco, summit county has it's merits, the view from Lake Dillon is one of my favorites). I would choose hiking in Garden of the Gods. While going up to Pikes peak is one of those "I did that" things, I prefer Garden of the Gods. If you only want to do one short hike, I would suggest "Siamese twins", just dont miss the best part by going around back of them and viewing Pikes Peak though a window in the rock formation. What every you choose it will be wonderful. Have Fun!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,623 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Colorado itinerary

Colorado Springs would be a decent place before your Denver meeting. Garden of the Gods will be the best attraction and it's easily hiked - not at all challenging. Very attractive natural setting. You can stay in Manitou Springs or just pickup a chain hotel along I-25 on northwest side, maybe around Woodmen or Garden of the Gods Roads - very convenient.

You can't drive up to Pike's Peak that time of year but the cog railway will be open which might be a good secondary activity to Garden of the Gods. You could do both in a long day.

Word of advice, don't take the tollway out of the airport -expensive. Just drive down to I-70, I-225, I-25. It's about 90 minutes to the Springs, maybe less at your arrival time.

If you're basing in Breckenridge, you're driving through Frisco. And, yes, it's easy to drive over to Vail. FYI, it is late season but skiing should still be good.

Have fun.

3. Re: Help with Colorado itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 17, 2014