We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer RV trip

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Topic
Summer RV trip

My husband and I are touring the west in our motorhome this summer. We will be driving from Cheyenne Wy. to Estes Park Co to stay for a few days to explore the Rocky Mt Nat'l park. From there we will be headed south to Colorado Springs to tour that area, and then up to Greeley for the Stampede. Someone told us that we should not miss Steamboat Springs, which now creates a dilemma. I've map quested the routes and it seems possible, but wondering if the detour to SS is worth it. We love driving and scenery, but can't figure if we should take time from our stay in Greeley to see SS. Help!!!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,352 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Summer RV trip

Greeley Versus Steamboat. Steamboat! No question about it. They too have a rodeo and so much more!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,563 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Summer RV trip

How many days were you planning in Greeley and Colorado Springs? I'd consider stealing a day or two from each one if you can and including either Steamboat Springs or a loop through Rocky Mtn Natl Park over Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake, then to Frisco and Breckenridge. From Breckenridge you could go to Colorado Springs... or skip Colorado Springs and go back toward Denver and drive the Peak to Peak Scenic Byway back to Estes Park and then east to Greeley.

I agree with alli...I'd pick Steamboat over Greeley.

Edited: 12:42 pm, February 06, 2013
Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Summer RV trip

Thanks! What about driving a motorhome towing a car over trail ridge road? Is it like going to the sun rd in glacier or Beartooth hwy in wy/mt? We've driven both of those in cars but not in the mh. Wanted to see the stampede in greeley, have been to Cheyenne frontier days and Calgary stampede, is it anything like that? (Sorry if I'm jumping all over the place here!)

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,640 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Summer RV trip

If your interest is rodeos then Greeley is going to be better than Steamboat (sorry guys). Steamboat does rodeos on Friday and Saturday nights in the summer at their arena and they last about 2 hrs. The Greeley Stampede is a full event for several days including parades, concerts, fireworks, and a bigger rodeo. It's been awhile since I've been to it and to Cheyenne Frontier Days but imho Cheyenne Frontier Days was better then. Who knows about now. (No chuckwagon races at Greeley, I think.) Calgary also has the draft horses, which Greeley doesn't have either.

Steamboat is a nice town but if you are already doing RMNP you may not really want to add it into your schedule by giving up the Stampede.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,563 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Summer RV trip

The Stampede does sound like fun!

I'm going to defer to someone with greater knowledge about driving motor homes, esp. pulling a car, to address the question of whether to tackle Trail Ridge Road.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Summer RV trip

Bayley1's related topics

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28927-i252-k61189…

tripadvisor.com/…46710699

Central New Jersey
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Summer RV trip

Wow, what great info! I knew that my TA buddies could help me out with this one! My husband read the info on taking the MH and towed car over Trail Ridge Rd and started to hyperventilate (!!) so looks like we'll just use the towed car to make a day trip out of it. Thanks also for the info on Breckenridge, looks like a neat little town and definitely a must do.

8. Re: Summer RV trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 08, 2014