We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

Looking at taking a trip in May and Colorado is on the list. I just don't know where to start and then what to do or where to go from there. It's my husband and myself and we are looking for middle of the road budget accommodations. We enjoy nature, scenery, food, wine, music, road trips, short easy hikes and just a laid back atmosphere. I am not familiar with Colordao at all. Any iteneraries that you'd like to share would be helpful. We will be looking at staying a week and will rent a car. Thanks in advance!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

We've visited the Rocky Mt. NP in late May several times. What the weather will be like depends really on the amount of snow fall during the winter.

We did a SW trip that included CO, UT, AZ and NM in September and have family who have visited the area in late May. You might look at Arches NP, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde NP, Durango and Ouray or even Santa Fe and Albuquerque

We have also been to the Grand Canyon NP and Sedona in Arizona in late May.

CO DE's are great and I am sure will give you lots of info. We love coming to CO. We will be there again in September.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,337 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

I like the idea of going west in May. A stop in Vail for super cheap lodging at that time of year. great food, I like the Cascade. Great pool by the river with lovely hot-tubs. then a stop in Palisade palisadetourism.com/colorado-wineries-spirit… I have heard good things about

http://www.coloradowinecountryinn.com then onto Arches or Monument.

Edited: 6:46 pm, February 01, 2013
Breckenridge...
Destination Expert
for Breckenridge
Level Contributor
3,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

If you could provide some more info, it might help future posters better respond and give suggest trips.

1) are you flying into Colorado?

2) have you already booked flights? this way, perhaps people can suggest flying into other parts of the state and you can see about costs. Might also want to put where you are coming from in case people know of lesser know cheaper airlines (although assuming Memphis)

3) date you are arriving as well as time (that way people know if on Day 1, you have time to drive somewhere or if Day 1 will be a late arrival and probably hotel stay in your arrival city).

4) date you are departing and time so people can know if you need to be back in your departure city the night before your flight.

Assuming Denver is your arrival city, you may want to read up on the following to see what interests you.

-Estes Park- home of Rocky Mountain National Park

-Colorado Springs- Garden of the Gods, Cog Railroad to the top of Pikes Peak, Air Force Academy

-trip up into the mountains- Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs, Vail, Aspen...

this would be weather dependant as this can be "mud" season so a lot depends on late season snow, melting...

-western Colorado as mentioned (then you might want to see costs of flying into a place like Grand Junction or Montrose). Allegiant Air is a small airlines that flies into these places for very cheap, just not from Memphis but maybe a Memphis to Vegas flight is cheap and then catch a Vegas to Grand Junction flight.

*Palisade- wine country, Colorado National Monument nearby, Grand Mesa for some great off the beaten path hiking,

*Ouray

*Durango

*Mesa Verde NP

*loop over to Utah and catch Moab, Ut (great weather typically in May).

Matt

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

I have not booked flights and we have not narrowed down dates yet. We are just looking at Sometime in May, dates flexible. This is a possible trip to Colorado, looking at some other places as well. We will be flying into Colorado. Denver is where we should fly into I am assuming?

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,873 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

Emily,

Have family near Memphis and I know airfares are some of the most expensive in the country imo. You might want to drive to a city that Southwest serves and fly from there. We always get good rates to the west on Southwest and if Delta matches then we look at Delta too. Just something to think about.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
10,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

I never fly into Denver, but I spend my time in the SW part of the state. ie ~ Telluride, Ouray, Montrose, etc. There are direct flights from both Dallas and Houston to Montrose, not sure if you could go Memphis to one of those cities first. However, those flights to Montrose may not run in May, as that is considered off season in many of the high mountain towns. The later in May you can go, the better it will be or even in early June.

I love the SW part of the state, just as gorgeous as near Denver (if not more so) and things are much less crowded than the areas that are closer to Denver. Plenty to see and do in the SW.

Telluride, Ouray, Mesa Verde, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railway, Million Dollar Hwy (drop dead gorgeous views!), etc.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

Emily, you asked for possible itineraries.

If you look under Top Questions for Colorado to the right, look at "Trip Reports."

Lots of great ideas of itineraries of other travelers there. Have fun planning!

Edited: 2:44 pm, February 02, 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
193 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

This is all wonderful info. I will take a look at the SW part of the state and will also take a look at the 'trip reports'. This is a great place to start and I appreciate the help!

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

You could also fly into Albuquerque and drive into CO really easily. Very beautiful drive and lots to see around Pagosa Springs and further north from there.

10. Re: Possible trip to Colorado in May. Where and what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 06, 2014