We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

Haltom City, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

I am taking a road trip during the summer to Colorado and I would like to know what are the best places to visit in Colorado, we are looking to see some beautiful sceneries and also at night being able to see all the stars. We would like to go rafting as well!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

When in the summer? Who is going family or couple and what ages? Budget and where will you want to stay...motels, camping b&b's?

Visit www.colorado.org for tons of information.

Rocky Mountain National Park, Summit Co (Breckenridge, Frisco, Dillon), Buena Vista/Salida, Gunnison/Crested Butte, Durango all are areas to look at.

Haltom City, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

I am going with some friends after we graduate high school. One of my friends mom has this deal with a cabin so whereever we choose to go that's where her mom is going to call to reserve the cabin.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

See if you can find out Moms location choices. That will help narrow it down.

I like Salida, but if it is a time share arrangement that might not work

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
11,524 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

Since you are coming from Texas, southwest Colorado make alot of sense for you, much closer. Is drop dead gorgeous and much less crowded than the areas that are farther north and closer to Denver. All of the following are within and hour or two of each other. You could choose one spot to stay and take day trips from there.

www.visittelluride.com

www.ridewithroudy.com

www.telluridetours.com

www.sanmiguelanglers.com

www.tellurideoutside.com

www.telluridemuseum.org

www.visitmontrose.com

www.OurayColorado.com

www.durango.org

www.RidgwayColorado.com

www.mesaverde.com

www.mountain-village.co.us

coloradoscenicdrives.com/southwestregion.php

Edited: 8:05 pm, December 19, 2012
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

How long is your trip? From which direction are you driving?

Could you give us a little more info on the cabin? Can you stay in more than one place if you want or will you be wanting to reserve a cabin in one place and base your stay there? Does your friend's mom already have a cabin in mind or has she just agreed to pay for the cabin or cabins once you've decided where you want to go? Or, as alli says, does she have a time share arrangement that would limit the locations?

Edited: 8:07 pm, December 19, 2012
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,576 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

The farther you can get away from cities, the better your stargazing will be. The national parks and state parks are some of the best places for stargazing, and there are often stargazing programs. Or check out the Gunnison Valley Observatory: http://www.gunnisoncrestedbutte.com/GVO

http://www.gunnisonobservatory.org/

The best things to do really depends on your interests and what you want to see and do. There are lots of national parks and monuments, scenic byways, national forests, several places to raft, lots of places to hike, places to zipline or take climbing lessons. If any of you are into arts, history, or music, there's plenty of that, too. Scenic train rides, mine tours, mountain biking, jeep tours....help us narrow things down for you by giving us a little more information.

Will you all be over 18?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

I agree that Durango would fit the bill for you. Lots of hiking, rafting, stargazing. Also a visit to Mesa Verde Nat Park too. www.durango.org www.nps.gov/meve

8. Re: Best places to visit in colorado, and activites to do?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, December 21, 2013