We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colorado in February 2013

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Colorado in February 2013

We are flying in from Fort Lauderdale on the Friday and returning on the Monday. Which airport would be the best to fly into? We dont want to ski but would like to go tubing, go on a sleigh ride and get a good feel of Colorado and see some lovely scenery. We will have our 19 year old son with us. Good shopping would be nice too. Thanks.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,226 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colorado in February 2013

Most people fly in to Denver, but other good options (and less crowded, less traffic to contend with on a holiday weekend) would be Durango, Grand Junction, Montrose. Or you could drive to Breckenridge from Colorado Springs...I'm not sure where there would be tubing and a sleigh ride closer to Colorado Springs.... There are also some small airports with direct flights from various areas in the winter, or that connect in Denver.

What kind of shopping do you like? Small boutiques and shops? Artsy stuff? Outlets? Malls?

Even though you aren't skiing, the places with ski resorts are good bets for shopping, sleigh rides, scenery, etc. Snow shoeing is another activity you might enjoy, and even if you don't want to downhill ski, you might like to try cross-country skiing. Hot springs are a lot of fun to visit in the winter, too.

Estes Park is one of the "non-ski" destinations convenient to Denver.

There are outlets at Silverthorne along Interstate 70 west of Denver, and Frisco is another nearby "non-ski" town convenient to lots of winter activities and scenery.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,854 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colorado in February 2013

I'd echo the town of Frisco.

www.townoffrisco.com/adventure-park/winter/ has all that you want. Plus the town is super cute with all sorts of cute shops along the historic Main st. It is close to the Outlets at Silverthorne too.

If you look at Frisco, I'd suggest staying in the historic section rather than the hotels near the highway. Tons of condos to choose from if you find one that peaks your interest ask here, Matt or 1forfun will be able to help.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…a9884

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colorado in February 2013

Thanks for the responses. I will look into Frisco. We are wanting to experience the "wild west" and crafty Pioneer Stores.

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
10,179 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colorado in February 2013

I am also a fan of the charming town of Frisco but it does not say "wild west" to me. Take a look at www.windingriverresort.com or www.devilsthumbranch.com for some western flavor. Both of these locations are convenient to Denver and are also close to the town of Grand Lake-- snowmobiling capital of Colorado.

www.grandlakechamber.com

Winter Park Ski Resort and Snow Mountain Ranch (both with plenty of activities other than skiing), the town of Granby, the famous Fraser tubing hill and the western side of Rocky Mountain National Park (tremendous scenery, great opportunities for viewing wildlife especially moose and elk, ranger guided snowshoe hikes or on you own) are all also close to both ranches.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colorado in February 2013

Appreciate the feedback.

6. Re: Colorado in February 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, November 29, 2013