We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SUV with towbar to rent

Lee, United Kingdom
4 posts
SUV with towbar to rent

Hello,

We need a large SUV (seats 6) with a towbar in Denver or surrounding cities so we can hook up a pop-up trailer. The major hire companies are proving to be a bit rubbish. Can anyone suggest a rental company that might help?

Thanks

Glyn

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
378 Reviews
from $299.99*
$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
615 Reviews
from $369.99*
$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
130 Reviews
from $473.99*
$499.00
Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,860 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: SUV with towbar to rent

At one point I too tried to find the exact same thing to tow a trailer and I just could not find anything with the traditional rental car companies. You may want to try Uhaul and inquire about their pick-up trucks. I believe you are allowed to tow with those; they are just plain moving/pick-up trucks, but it might work if there is just two of you. Good luck!

uhaul.com/Reservations/EquipmentDetail.aspx…

Note it states towing capacity of 5,500lbs - so you should be good.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,636 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: SUV with towbar to rent

We rented a Tahoe from Enterprise at the Colorado Spring Airport. It had the "tow" package but nothing to attach to it. You'd need to have the attachment with a ball that slides in. Does that make sense? I am not sure they would have allowed us to tow something, we never asked we used it to insert our bike rack.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,451 posts
178 reviews
3. Re: SUV with towbar to rent

I thought maybe the place to look would be somewhere that rents popup campers, so I did a search and found this place that rents popup campers and the vehicle to tow them. They say they will even pick you up at the airport. I don't have experience renting from this company, but it is the best suggestion I can find.

adventurecamper.com/colorado-suv-and-van-ren…

I think you can rent tow bars from U-Haul (or similar) but I sincerely doubt the car rental companies would allow their cars to be used this way....another one of those restricted uses.

www.best-car-rental-tips.com/towing.html

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,669 posts
449 reviews
4. Re: SUV with towbar to rent

No traditional car rental company is going to allow you to tow anything with their vehicles. That doesn't mean you couldn't rent an SUV that had a tow hitch, buy a receiver hitch and rent a camper. But you would likely be in violation of the rental terms. The suggestions for U-Haul or the Adventure Camper company are probably your best bet.

Fruita, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Fruita, Grand Junction
Level Contributor
7,518 posts
265 reviews
5. Re: SUV with towbar to rent

When we mention that you would be in violation of their rental contracts that means they can hit you with hefty fines. Any damages that need to be repaired are not covered by their insurance, or by your credit card's insurance since the verbage clearly indicates that if you violate the terms of the contract the insurance is voided. And any days the vehicle is in the repair shop you must pay the daily rate for the rent of the vehicle since it is not rentable. Obviously it's not in their best interest to quickly repair it since it's rented so that can take some time. It can become a huge bill.

If you feel you must do RV travel then you should rent from a place that specializes in RV rentals.

Edited: 11:22 am, August 23, 2012
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
197 reviews
6. Re: SUV with towbar to rent

I agree with the two previous posts. Most rental contracts forbid towing anything with their vehicles. Further, even if a vehicle has a tow hitch, without a wiring harness to operate the brake lights and turn signals on the trailer, you will be operating the vehicle illegally and dangerously.

I would contact the company you're using to rent the camper and see what they recommend.

7. Re: SUV with towbar to rent

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 25, 2013