We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fall Colors - 2011

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Fall Colors - 2011

I don't know about the rest of the state, but we have been having some really chilly nights and mornings up here in Summit County - like 30s/40s. I predict Fall colors will be here sooner than later this year - for us at least.

A commonly asked question is "when is a good time to go see the changing of the Aspens." Therefore I predict the weekend of September 24th will be the ideal color time for Summit County.

Anyone care to challenge that prediction, or make one for their area?

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
378 Reviews
from $299.99*
$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
613 Reviews
from $369.99*
$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
129 Reviews
from $475.99*
$499.00
North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

No challange here, because that is when I will be up there watching. Thanks 14Fun!

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

ooooh the pressure! :-) Have a great trip!

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

Down here in the San Juans, we have not had very crisp nights yet and the wild flowers have held on a long time. In Ouray, we are still in the 50s when I get up (and I don't sleep very late).

I think we are going to peak a little later... I think San Juans will start about the 15th but not "peak" until the 29th of Sept. It will last until October 9th!

Just an educated guess of course but up for the challenge.

Pagosa Springs...
Destination Expert
for Durango, Pagosa Springs
Level Contributor
433 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

I was camping (on the eastern side of the San Juan Mtns) on Aug 7th and woke to frost on the tent and a frozen water dish for the dog. We were only a few miles from our house...it was a little disheartening. Can I buy July back?!!

North Platte...
Level Contributor
366 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

Wildflowers or Fall Colors? hmm. Well Karen, if you are spot on, then I will take them later. I will be in O-town the week before the Jeep Jamboree. I have came out before the last week of Sept., and the first week of Oct., but many many times the third week of Sept. Sometimes I miss, sometimes I hit it. More times then not, I have not been able to cross the passes the later times. So here I come. Not that I am counting down, lol: It is 27 days, 14 hours, 36 minutes, 16 seconds

Until I leave.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

I shall make a prediction of September 16th-17th for Evergreen, I am already seeing gold on the edges of our leaves when I take my daily walk. =)

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
22 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

Here in Oklahoma I would love to think about cool nights. It has been a hot and dry miserable summer here. I am so ready for some cooler days. I so enjoy Colorado but want get to visit there this year. We were there last year in the 3rd week of September and the aspens were gorgeous, but I know it is different every year. We visited Pagosa Springs and took a road trip to Slumgullon Pass for the color.

DeborhOklahoma

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

Dawg, I think your estimate is very close - I may have overestimated. It could be earlier because I am seeing what you are describing too.

Good guess kavery123! A test of our skills, or ESP abilities, which are often required in this forum lol!

Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

I have kept a travel diary for years. Fall foliage rarely varies that much for the areas I frequent. For the upper Cache La Poudre Scenic Byway, the Red Feather Lakes area and upper elevations of RMNP - September 20-24. For the lower elevations of RMNP such as Moraine Park, Horseshoe Park, Endovalley and Wild Basin and for CR 43 Devils Gulch Road between Drake and Estes Park (beautiful and less traveled) - September 28-October 2.

evergreen, colorado
Level Contributor
5,587 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fall Colors - 2011

No matter what the date, always such a beautiful show! Ready to hear the elk bugle, too. Summer, what summer, holy smokes. =)