We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip to SW Colorado

California
Level Contributor
1,518 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
trip to SW Colorado

We are considering a week long trip to SW Colorado in September if we can manage it. A couple of questions and tentative itinerary. We are thinking of either September 3 - 9(Which includes Labor Day) or September 17 - 23. We want to try to avoid alot of rain if we can. Is the weather pretty comparable on those dates or is the weather riskier for the later dates? Any recommendations in terms of which timeframe is better for crowds, prices, etc?

Here is our tentative itinerary. Some of our hotel choices were based on the fact that due to some life circumstances we may have to cancel the trip on short notice and so we are picking hotels with good cancellation policies.

day one - arrive in Durango mid afternoon. Settle in. Thinking of staying at the Comfort Inn for 2 nights.

day 2 - train to Silverton. Thinking of taking the open air car for better photos(no windows), think that's a good idea?

Day 3 - Drive Million $ Highway to Ouray, stay in Hot Springs Inn for 2 nights.

Day 4 - Jeep Tour to Yankee Basin with Switzerland of America

Day 5 - Fly Fishing with Rigs Outfitter, then drive to Telluride. Stay at Ice House Lodge for 2 nights.

Day 6 - Telluride gondola ride, hike, explore town.

Day 7 - fly home from Durango

Suggestions on other things to do or short hikes in these areas are welcome. What do you think of this general plan? Thanks in advance.

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip to SW Colorado

I think that sounds like a great plan. If there is rain, it tends to be afternoon showers. I am in Telluride now and last week there were alot of showers, so far this week, gorgeous. I was here last year mid Sept to 1st week of Oct and had gorgeous weather, may have had a few showers, but nothing stands out.

Yankee Boy Basin is beautiful at all time, but the main attraction earlier in the summer are all the wild flowers.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
275 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip to SW Colorado

I think this sounds very doable and not too rushed. Be sure while in Ouray to soak in the hot springs pool and see Cascade Falls and Box Canyon Falls. The Ouray County Museum is also great. It was voted one of the best small museums in the West. And you will love the Hot Springs Inn. There is a nice trail to walk on the north side of the hotel that has signs along the way that tell about the history of the town as a mining town. Wonderful place!

You might also check out the train/jeep combo tour for the day you do the train out of Durango. That way you could also see Animas Forks ghost town. It's a very scenic drive out there and well worth seeing. Here is a link.

durangotrain.com/packages/…trails-and-rails

Enjoy your trip!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,260 posts
499 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip to SW Colorado

Remember you from the Yellowstone and Glacier forums. We will be in Ouray, Telluride and Durango September 2-10.

Hope you enjoy your trip. We are really looking forward to our visit!!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip to SW Colorado

Late September/early October is one of my favorite times in the Durango area. Usually no rain and beautiful days. I see you don't have Mesa Verde Nat Park on your plan, well worth visiting there for a day. I would put that in before spending lots of time in Telluride (just my opinion)

Charleston, South...
Destination Expert
for Charleston, South Carolina, Telluride
Level Contributor
13,094 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip to SW Colorado

At this point you only have one day scheduled for Telluride, so I would hate to see you leave it out. Personally, I would go to Mesa Verde before going fishing.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: trip to SW Colorado

Durango: We really like the Doubletree there. Usually have a room overlooking the river. Fun to watch the traffic. Downtown within walking distance. Train: Take it to Silveton, and return by shuttle bus. Your derrier will appreciate it, unless ii is a gutton for wooden train seats.

Ouray, Colorado
Level Contributor
629 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip to SW Colorado

I would choose the later week rather than the earlier week as there are really great leaves to see at the higher elevations from the 17-24 in most years especially if you like photography!

Columbia, MD
Level Contributor
236 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip to SW Colorado

The windows in an enclosed car are large and anb can be opened, so the view is still good and you can get pictures through the open window. Seats are all reserved but can freely walk about the train, except through the luxuray cars, and take pictures from an open car if you find an open spot. If it rains, being in an enclosed car is a plus. The open gondolas have roofs, but being completely open on the side, you will get rained on. Get a seat as far back as possible for fewer cinders. Wear a hat and sunglasses.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,373 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip to SW Colorado

Check with Rigs, but maybe it would work to go fly fishing the afternoon/early evening of the day you do your Yankee Boy Basin trip. That would free up a little time so that you could drive to Telluride and spend the rest of the day on day 5 & overnight at Telluride, then head to Mesa Verde for at least a half day on day 6. Unless you've been there before, it seems a shame to be so close and not at least get a glimpse!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,373 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip to SW Colorado

I like the enclosed car for the historic feel, but I prefer the open car because you are seated facing outward so everyone has a "window" seat. Afternoon showers are common, so be sure to pick up a cheap vinyl poncho. And of course dress in layers and wear socks.

I also like to recommend one of the combination tours such as the jeep/train or jeep/horseback or jeep/ ATV tours. There's now a hike/mountain bike/ train combo tour. It's a great use of time, and on the jeep/train tour, as jkshel mentions, you get to see Animas Forks.

There are lots of great short hikes...one of the musts is Cascade Falls in Ouray.