We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Itinerary

Boston
12 posts
Save Topic
Trip Itinerary

My family (2 adults, 2 boys ages 11 and 14) is planning a trip to Colorado this June. After a few days in Denver, and several days in Breckenridge visiting with my husband’s family; we plan to do some exploring of the southwestern part of the state.

Our proposed itinerary is outlined below. Any feedback as to feasibility of distances traveled, amount of time spent per site, alternative locations for lodging, as well as the lodging choices would be helpful. Please note that due to my aversion to “scary” drives, at this point we’re planning to avoid the worst section of the Million Dollar Highway, and get between Montrose and Durango via the alternate route that goes by Telluride and Cortez.

June 19 – Arrive in Denver

June 20 – Denver Zoo and baseball game

June 21 to June 23 – in Breckenridge (condo)

June 24 – to Glenwood Springs (Glenwood Springs Lodge)

June 25 – to Co. National Monument;

overnight in Fruita (Comfort Inn or La Quinta Inn)

June 26 – to Black Canyon of the Gunnison

overnight in Montrose (Best Western Red Arrow)

June 27 – to Mesa Verde (Far View Lodge)

June 28 and 29– to Durango (Quality Inn or Ramada Limited)

June 30 – to Montrose

July 1 – to Denver; fly home on July 2

Thanks!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,167 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Itinerary

kentravel, with this basic itinerary, I've thought of a couple of ways you could avoid driving the Cortez-Telluride section twice and only overnight in Montrose once.

From Fruita, travel to Gateway for a stop at the auto museum there (world class! Built by Discovery Channel owner to house and showcase his famous collection, but is not just a car museum, it's great history in an entertaining package) and then on south to Mesa Verde and then Durango. From Durango you'd still backtrack just a bit to Dolores, then take the portion of the San Juan Skyway through Telluride. That direction will put you on the "mountain" side of the fairly short section that will be a little scary for you, but trust me, I can drive it so it isn't too bad (because it's not long, there are shoulders and guard rails.) And very beautiful.

Your itinerary would look like this:

19-25 - same

June 26 - Fruita to Gateway to Mesa Verde.

June 27 - Mesa Verde as long as you wish, then on to Durango

June 28 - Durango

June 29 - to Montrose (or Ouray via Telluride/Ridgway)

June 30- Black Canyon, overnight Montrose or on to Gunnison or even Salida or Buena Vista.

July 1 - Denver

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,167 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Itinerary

The second option would be to go ahead to Montrose and Black Canyon on the 26th. Overnight Montrose, or drive to Ouray then on to Mesa Verde and Durango as planned.

On June 30, either drive to South Fork and take the Silver Thread Scenic Byway to intersect Hwy 50 and overnight in Gunnison, or visit the Great Sand Dunes and the alligator farm (kids will love it) near Alamosa.

3. Re: Trip Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, September 02, 2010