We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mountain towns near Denver

Alabama
3 posts
Save Topic
Mountain towns near Denver

My wife and I are going to be in Denver on business for a week in early May, and we're thinking about adding a short vacation (3 days or so) to the trip. We've never been to Colorado. We'd like to visit a mountain town within driving distance of Denver. We're looking for a charming town in a very scenic location, with good dining options, opportunities for lite hiking and possibly other lite outdoor activities, and some low key nightlife (ideally with some live music). Funds are not unlimited and we like to save money where we can, but we may be a able to splurge a bit to make this trip as enjoyable as possible (we won't be on a strict budget).

The scenery around Telluride looks breathtaking in the pictures and video I've seen. Unfortunately, Telluride is too far from Denver for us. Are there any comparable towns close to Denver?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Frisco, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Frisco
Level Contributor
5,844 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

How about Frisco - www.TownOfFrisco.com - about an hour from Denver

or Breckenridge - www.GoBreck.com - about 1hr 15 min form Denver

www.Colorado.com is a good resource too.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,610 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Telluride is beautiful but pretty far from Denver. 1FourFun's ideas on Frisco or Breck are good. Here is another site http://www.summitnet.com/ that will give you some ideas.

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,849 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Telluride is special - there is no other place like it. I agree with the above. Check out some of the towns in Summit County.

lakewood, colorado
Level Contributor
557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Also check out Grand Lake, the western entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park, which I highly recommend for breath-taking mountain scenery and wildlife.

http://www.grand-county.com/

You can enter the Park from Grand Lake, and drive Trail Ridge Road, the highest continuous road in the US. Trail Ridge will take you to the eastern entrance to the Park, and Estes Park. Both Grand Lake and Estes Park are scenic mountain communities, with Grand Lake being the "sleeper" and Estes more touristy.

www.rmnp.com/RMNP-areas-trailridge.html

If you decide to visit Summit County, I advise you to go during the week if you can. Traffic often gets backed up on weekends (esp Sunday) when returning to Denver via I-70.

lakewood, colorado
Level Contributor
557 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Ooops! Just realized you are visiting in early May. Trail Ridge will not be open all the way thru from Grand Lake to Estes, still too much snow. But you can still visit the park, you just can't go thru.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,192 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Early May in the Colorado mountains is not quite time for hiking in the high country...still snow and mud.

I think Summit County would be your best mountain town area with the towns of Breckenridge, Frisco and Dillon.

You may also want to consider Estes Park and visit the eastern 1/2 of Rocky Mtn National Park.

Another place to visit would be Boulder. Not quite in the high mountains, but lots of what you listed you want to do. Hiking in the foothills will be nice and lots of great restaurants.

Alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Alabama
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
517 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Do Breckenridge in Summit County. Frisco and Dillon are just "towns." Breck has a mining history and a cute, historic Main St w/ plenty of shopping, nightlife and dining options.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mountain towns near Denver

Come to Colorado Springs!!!!!!!!! It's the best, close to the mountains, just an hour south of Denver. It's not just Colo Sprgs, but also Manitou Springs, Pikes Peak, Cave of the Winds, Indian Cliff Dwelling.

Cripple Creek and Canon City are just an hour away.

www.visitcos.com

http://costourguide.com/attractions