We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amtrak train from SF to Denver

Melboune
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
amtrak train from SF to Denver

Can anyone help please. My husband is keen to take the amtrak train from San Francisco to Denver in April 2009. It is a 34 hour journey and after flying from Australia 5 days earlier, i am not keen on it. Is it worth doing, or just a waste of time. thanks.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

The train trip is nice but from your previous post, you said your husband is a smoker and there is no smoking allowed on the train. Smoke stops can be cancelled.

I enjoyed our train trip and the scenery between San Fran and Denver is beautiful.....

Sorry, I can't help you any more.

2. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 am, August 28, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

I don't know why you say that the train through NM is a bus! I took the Southwest Chief train from Lamy near Santa Fe to Los Angeles.. all on the train. Not a single bus. Maybe this has changed in the past few years.. but I still see Amtrak trains.

From San Francisco to Denver via the California Zephyr there is only a bus ride (according to Amtrak) from San Francisco to Emeryville, where the train station is. I have heard something about track construction in Colorado, possibly that may be what the poster above meant.

Can you give a link to info on track closures? Would help us help others this summer.

Melboune
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

Thanks to all who have replied. We certainly have more information to make our decision, and your information will be very much considered. Thanks again.

5. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:45 am, August 28, 2008
Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

AdventureGirl9 is misinformed and definitely confused! Amtrak has passenger train service in Colorado. Does Union Station in Denver ring a bell? The California Zephyr is the route the OP is referring to as Casa Azul mentioned. The Zephyr continues to Omaha and Chicago.

7. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

Removed on: 10:43 am, August 28, 2008
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
16,270 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

No adventuregirl you wont get any nasty posts but you should check out your answers. Trains 5&6 serve Fort Morgan, Denver, Fraser/WinterPark, Granby, Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction - all Colorado stops. The original poster asked about this route from San Francisco to Denver. There are no busses on this route. If MaggieMae were going to Colorado Springs, it would be a buss connection out of Denver. FYI- on another route: The Southwest Chief (trains 3 & 4) serve Lamar, La Junta and Trinidad, Colorado from the south

Melboune
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

A big thank you to all have replied to my original post about the train from San Francisco to Denver. As we only have three and a half weeks to see as much as we can of the States we have decided that we will fly and save some time that way. Also the cigarette stops (or lack thereof) certainly helped my husband make this decision. Really appreciate all of your help.

Washington State
Level Contributor
783 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: amtrak train from SF to Denver

AdventureGirl19:

Amtrak runs 2 trains through Colorado, trains 5 & 6, the California Zephyr between Emeryville (San Francisco) and Chicago, and the trains 3 & 4, the Southwest Chief, between Los Angeles and Chicgo.

The California Zephyr runs across central Colorado and serves Ft. Morgan, Denver, Winter Park, Granby, Glenwood Springs and Grand Junction. It goes through the central Rockies and is one of the most spectacular rail trips in the world.

The Southwest Chief runs across the southeastern Colorado and serves Trinidad and La Junta.

There is no north/south service along the Front Range, only east/west service. You are only correct in the fact that there is no rail service to the city of Colorado Springs.

It would be nice if your advice to visitors to our country reflected actual facts, since they live thousands of miles away and could probably use actual facts to make decisions.