We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
41 posts
17 reviews
Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

i can't tell from the maps where a family could stay a few nights in the mountains after visiting friends in Aurora. Any suggestions? We've stayed in Estes before and liked that , but wondered if there was something closer to our home base. thoughts appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,923 posts
67 reviews
1. Re: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

Lots of families enjoy Breckenridge

https://www.gobreck.com/

What are you hoping to do and the budget would help us better offer advice

Colorado
Level Contributor
13,261 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

^Yep - need more info.

There are lots of places you can go.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
41 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

thanks. just piecing this together. dad and kids will stay a few nights in mountanins while mom is visiting friend in aurora.

We were looking at the map and saw fraser winter park and grandby were somewhat close to aurora. the pix look beautiful of those areas. are those areas reasonable to aurora? any cute hotels with reasonable budgets people would recommend?

activities? once you get there, can you find activities to do or do they need to be reserved?

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
4. Re: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

That is a nice area for sure. Maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours from aurora. Lots of hiking, mt biking, fishing, devils thumb ranch adventure park. Winter Park and Granby Ranch should have some family friendly condos along with hotels you could look into. Hot Sulphur Springs is not too far for hot springs and you are close to the west entrance of RMNP.

Mercer Island...
Level Contributor
6,760 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

IDK what you consider "reasonably close to Aurora". Aurora is a big place. The Granby/Winter Park/Fraser area is about two hours drive, depending on traffic and exactly where in Aurora you mean. Google maps drive time estimates are pretty accurate. Lots of condos in that area, not so many hotels.

Summit county, towns of Breckenridge, Frisco, Silverthorne and Dillon will be a slightly shorter and easier drive. No twisty mountain roads where Granby etc. does involve s twisty, three lane road over Berthoud Pass. Lots of lodging options there.

All these areas have tourism web sites and numerous activities. Google "things to do" and the town name and you'll find them. With no info on what you want to do its hard to make any recommendations.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
41 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

hey guys; thanks!

I'm looking at silverthorne and frisco and breckinridge areas now.

Not sure why i thought you could only hike in RMNP -- looks like there's hiking trails everywhere!! and gondolas! and bike rentals! this will be so fun; i appreciate the thoughts about this area being slightly easier to get to from aurora. is there a little downtown area in these towns where my family could stay and walk to eat out? (family doesnt need a kitchen while i'm visiting my friend in aurora so maybe just a hotel would be good and not a condo. . .)

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
7. Re: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .

Both Breckenridge and Frisco have walkable downtown's with lots of places to eat. Silverthorne is less expensive but has more of of a suburban sprawl feel.

Reply to: Where? 1 or 2 nights near aurora in Mountains . . .
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted