We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

Hi

We're looking for some help in driving from LA to San Francisco and the type of vehicle to do it in. We wanted to do it in an RV or campervan or similar. It'll be two adults and two small kids (4 and 7).

We've read that some people find RVs too big to drive on Big Sur - and we didn't really want an enormous vehicle. However, we're struggling to find a smaller vehicle that could sleep 4, ideally in the same vehicle, i.e. without a roof tent. We looked for a VW but have struggled to find these, especially as our trip is a week one way. Class B motor homes only seem to sleep 3, unless we've missed some.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a vehicle or view on driving big vehicles on Big Sur? We'd stay at campsites with facilities so not fussed about on board toilets or showers.

We'd really appreciate views on this or being directed to other posts.

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60,960 posts
149 reviews
122 helpful votes
1. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

FAQ: RVing in California: Is it Right for you? that would be a good article to read

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
2. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

Thanks for your response, I read that article earlier. We're keen to do it and it's a week out of a 6 week trip so there'll be enough hotels etc in other places. Plus our kids are mad for it!

Just have the impression that all RVs are enormous and have no idea what the roads are like - I read something on here before about a couple who wouldn't do it in an RV again. Just one view though.

I've never driven an RV before but happy to give it a go.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
79,320 posts
197 reviews
147 helpful votes
3. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

Hi

This article is linked to that Top Q article at the bottom.

Types of RVs tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c151379/Califo…

Places to rent are included. Finding a company that will rent one way may be the challenge.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
45,253 posts
1,197 reviews
2,868 helpful votes
4. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

Look at a C 25. That's a Class C that is only 25 feet long, which is fairly short. You will be able to get into just about any camping space anywhere.

As far as Highway 1, yes it is narrow-ish and winding. However, overall, most British drivers are very good drivers. (My opinion from years of driving in the UK) Roads here are far wider than you are used to. As long as you allow yourself time for the drive, I suspect you'll be just fine. You can't drive a motorhome as fast as a car, particularly on Hwy 1 ;-)

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
23,631 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

If you're planning on RV'ing in Big Sur, most campgrounds have a size limit for RV's, so be sure to look at that before you book your RV. Also, you really should pre-book all your campsites, especially in Big Sur where campsites are far and few between.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
45,253 posts
1,197 reviews
2,868 helpful votes
6. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

A 25 footer should be fine in Big Sur. Yes, booking ahead is a good idea, particularly in summer. There are differences in prices in the campgrounds and RV parks there, and not all have hookups:

rvparkreviews.com/regions/…Big_Sur.html

London, United...
9 posts
1 review
7. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

Hi

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. I'll look at a C25 and also check out campsites before booking the RV.

One last question, I think driving on highway 1 itself will probably be fine but would a C25 actually stop you getting somewhere we might want to go? I read that getting to Pfeiffer beach is down a narrow road not suitable for RVs. Is this a one off or are other places like that?

Thanks again for all your advice and links, much appreciated.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
6,219 posts
8. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

> have no idea what the roads are like

You might to have a look at 13-26, 13-27, 13-28 (especially this one) and 13-29 in this video playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist…

Hope this helps.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
23,631 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

RV's are too big for the twisty, narrow roadway leading down to Pfeiffer Beach. There's even a sign at the top of Sycamore Canyon Rd essentially saying no to RV's. I wouldn't venture up Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd, either.

Edited: 9:09 am, November 05, 2014
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
71,860 posts
73 reviews
141 helpful votes
10. Re: RV, motor home or campervan on Big Sur?

Just wondering? If you are here for 6 weeks then perhaps another part of your trip would be more appropriate for the RV than the rte 1 section?? Have you considered that?