We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire help!

Birmingham, United...
8 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire help!

Hi,

I am looking to hire a car from SF and drop off at LAX in September. Any advise on which company to use?

Thanks

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,048 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire help!

www.rentalcars.com or similar is suggested for folks from the UK because it will include all needed insurance and won't charge extra to pick up and drop off from different locations.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,099 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire help!

rent only from hertz avis budget alamo, enterprise and do not be fooled by dollar or payless or thrifty or payless or fox or rent a wreck or rent a jalopy even if their prices are cheaper. Use the UK sites to compare rates. Make sure you sign up for frequent renter program and that number is in your reservation.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire help!

Hallo, I' d like to rent a car for 14 days from lax and drop off to sfo.

I have searched in alamo.com and rentalscar.com and in alamo.com is much more expensive for the same car.

Why does this happen? can i trust other sites exept official alamo.

PS I prefere alamo and crysler 200

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,790 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire help!

The 3rd party booking company www.RentalCars.com seems to get good rates by make many bookings for a variety of companies. Other overseas visitors have been happy with their experience.

mpempa2014 ~ If you'd like to talk to someone on the phone about this, try www.CarHire3000.com This is a subsidiary of RentalCars.com and should be the same price. You can ask to use Alamo if that's the rental company you prefer.

R12345737 ~ you can also try the CarHire3000 website if you want to call. Just don't let anyone talk you into using Dollar SFO or Dollar LAX ~ too many stories of poor customer service. The top companies are listed in belo's reply, Reply 2.

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire help!

Try a "non-airport " car rental location. We are flying into SF and out of San Diego. We are using enterprise. It isn't cheap (we need a big car for 10 days) but If we rent the car at a location 10 miles from the airport, our rate goes from $1,900 down to $1,300, including all taxes - that's worth the taxi fare.

6. Re: Car Hire help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 15, 2015