We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

5 posts
Save Topic
Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

I've recently purchased some plane tickets from a travel website but absent-mindly put only my middle name and last name on my plane tickets.

This is a US domestic flight with AA from Texas to Cali.

My passport's 'given names' section has both my first and middle name spelled out then my last name, as well as on my DL.

Will it be a problem going through security? My friends tell me it will be okay, but I'm getting mixed messages from the internet.

Just as a precaution, I called AA and notified of the situation. The representative was quite nice and left a note on my ticket. To be honest, I dunno if they can actually do that.

Thanks a bunch.

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

We recently flew internationally with my wife's name misspelled. I had tried to fix the problem over the phone before we left without luck. At the airport we had more of a problem with the airline's gate agent than we did with TSA. The gate agent had to call over a supervisor, which took time. In contrast the TSA agents were very professional and not phased at all. I think that you should be OK but based on our experience I would definitely arrive at the airport early.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
52,833 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

If the flight is to cali, then It must be in Colombia. Sorry you may need to check with AA and the TSA agent as getting advice from an internet forum is the wrong way to do this. Only AA and TSA can let you board.

We wish you the best of luck

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,205 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

The usual advice is that your first and last name needs to match your ID.

Many people forget to put their middle names in but that doesn't seem to matter.

You , on the other hand for some strange reason, put in your middle name but not your first name. I have not seen that problem here on this board or on the airline board before this post.

If it were my trip I'd pay the fee to add my name and have it correctly on my ticket!

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

Actually I live in Texas and its just a domestic flight to LA for a convention. I've been asking for a name change with the TA but they have not been answering my emails.

Hopefully they will let me on board.

Edited: 4:26 am, June 25, 2014
Luckenbach, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

Go to the AA ticket agent at the airport BEFORE the actual flight day to get this cleared up.

Take your passport and DL so the ticketing agent can confirm your name with the e ticket.

Did you use your AA frequent flyer account number when you purchased, this will also confirm your name.

Bring all your printouts.

Doubtful they will change anything through an email.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,142 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

"Actually I live in Texas and its just a domestic flight to LA for a convention. "

Yeah - we know. Someone was just giving you crap for calling our state "Cali" :-)

But yes, I would bypass the travel agent and talk with the airline directly to get your name changed on the ticket. You may have to go to the airport to get it done, but it can be done. Chances are with one of your given names on the ticket and your last name that no one would give you any trouble, but I would get it straightened out anyway.

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

Thank you guys.

8. Re: Middle name and last name on airline ticket.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 29, 2015