We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

Level Contributor
88 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

Hi Everyone,

I am organising a trip from SF to LV via Yosemite and Sequoia NP in mid July.

I need to understand if I can reasonably cover this over three days driving a scenic route to cover the best places for photos and tourists spots. We will not be hiking etc so no need to devote time to this.

Where is the best places to stay and any suggestions seeing that many places will be booked up would be great.

I will be the only person driving and am a confident driver.

We are a group of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids from 8-17) with luggage. What kind of car should we rent for this kind of adventure?

Thanking everyone in advance.

Sam

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,854 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

When is this trip planned for? By "three days" do you mean 1 night in Yosemite and 1 night in SEKI? What is your budget per night?

As to what rental car, it might depend on when this trip is, but at least a full car (meaning not economy or intermediate).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

Just driving SF to Vegas via Yosemite (forget SEKI) is longer than Milan to Paris. The western US is very large. Where are you planning on staying overnight? Lodging books up in Yosemite a year in advance. Cancellations do occur but take a lot of work to snag one -- especially when you're looking for 5 people.

With regards to rental cars, 5 people means making sure there is a seatbelt in the middle of the back seat. Not all vehicles accommodate five.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,790 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

Even non-hikers can spend a week in Yosemite and not run out of things to do or see. So just 3 days to travel from SF to Las Vegas isn't much time.

Here is a description of the "usual" summer route from Yosemite to Las Vegas via Tioga Pass, the eastern Sierra, and Death Valley NP. Sequoia - Kings Canyon NP does not fit into this suggested itinerary. tripadvisor.com/Travel-g28926-c182361 Night 1: Yosemite Valley. Night 2: Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, or Lone Pine (the latter is the usual suggestion.)

Lodging tips for Yosemite are on the Yosemite forum page in the Top Questions on the right.

==============

Rent the kind of car that fits your family. Where are you from, as suggestions vary based on home location?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

The OPs username is "saminMILAN" ... I guessed she's from Milan, Italy. But then again, making assumptions is very dangerous.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,790 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

WD ~ you are a great sleuth!

Sam ~ assuming that WD is right, I'll suggest some 3rd party brokers that might offer a good deal for your rental.

www.RentalCars.com

www.drive-usa.com

www.usrentacar.co.uk

your favorite rental car company (insurance included)

Pick up the car in SF near your hotel after you have finished your SF tourism.

Level Contributor
88 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided to just do a long day trip from San Fran to at least allow my friends to see Yosemite. They will need to give me a lot more warning if they want to visit the NPs in this area instead of just 4 weeks notice, plus have at least a week free to do everything comfortably.

Oh and I am no longer living in Milan, I now live in Kazakhstan!

Thanks again.

Sam

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

Hope you are aware that it takes about four hours each way to drive from SF to Yosemite, so 8 hours of driving time with no stops, and that doesn't include any delays (road conditions, construction, traffic, etc) of any kind.

8. Re: San Francisco - Las Vegas via Yosemite and Sequoia NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 23, 2015