We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

Berkshires, MA
Level Contributor
39 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

Would like to do a trip to California in September and try to drive from LA to San Francisco (scenic highway), and perhaps spend a little time in San Francisco. In addition, we'd like to go back to Hawaii (anniversary) and spend time on the Big Island or a different island. How much time is suggested? 10 days California, 6-7 days Hawaii? We are just going to do some basic sight seeing/tourist attractions in California.

Thanks in advance.

Vantigo Tours
City Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
We Love LA Tour
Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Streets of San Francisco Bike Tours
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Urban Trek USA
Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Level Contributor
10,591 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

7 days is the minimum I would consider for a Hawaiian trip. That's really only 5 full days, as you spend a day in traveling back and forth (5 hour flight from west coast). I've done it in less ( a long weekend) and it was as if I was watching a movie rather than experiencing it.

The Big Island probably isn't the best island because it is so big that driving takes up a substantial part of a couple of days. Most advise at least 7 nights on The Big Island, which is a 9-day trip. Depends on which islands you visited before and what you like to do.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
54,865 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

Well la and SF need 3-4 full days and the coast 2-3 days plus there is a lot to see such as Yosemite and Wine country and San Diego. So you can decide how much of Ca you want to see and which island you want to do

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,976 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

Think in nights, not days because days overlap.

9 nights in CA, I'd fly into SFO, do 3 nights San Francisco, 3 nights down the coast spend nights in Monterey and the wine country (Paso Robles or Santa Barbara WC) and Santa Barbara and then 3 nights in LA before flying off to Kauai (tropical and quiet) or Oahu (sights and dining). 6 nights is not enough for the Big Island.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,811 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

How much time you need for any vacation destination depends on what you plan to see/do there. A person doesn't need to see/do everything in every city or island to enjoy it!

I completely disagree that going to Hawaii must be a 6-7 day trip from California!

Usually with the time change, you arrive mid day on your first day and so for me I have enjoyed several 4 or 5 day relaxed trips to the islands . It is completely up to you and your travel style! BTW I also disagree about thinking in terms of nights and not days.

If you just count nights then you don't know how much daytime you have on the ground do do activities!

Edited: 2:01 pm, June 04, 2014
Irvine, California
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

You can do this, but if you're looking for people's thoughts, I think it's too complicated. Hawaii is not close to california and youre wasting a whole day of your trip on travel not to mention the cost. It is a long flight to oahu and then a trasfer to another island. If you're from Australia, I say sure, since you're here. But its honestly not that much more difficult to get to hawaii from the east coast as it is the west coast. Do two weeks in California, go home, go back to hawaii a few minths later.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
22,807 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

Depends if you count your travel days as one of your Hawaii days. i have spent 5 nights for my last several trips to the various island and was refreshed for one but felt like not enough time for another. You can get direct flight to non Oahu islands on many carriers now. I usually leave take 6am flight there and the late afternoon flight back. I love flying out of SJC on Alaska but I think they run out of Oakland and SFO too though I know folks who drive from SF to SJ to fly direct. No right answer but I would not go to HI without a minimum of 5 nights.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

Maui probably the most popular island, and then Kauai, but the Big Island is my favorite, for the variety of scenery. The distances, even on slow roads, didn't bother me. And the traffic was less than on Oahu or Maui. Remember, each person's experiences, likes/dislikes, tolerance for moving a lot, etc. is different. No one-size-fits-all, IMHO. You really have to do research and map out various scenarios for yourself. Also look at costs of flights, car rentals (often higher in Hawaii than in California), hotels, etc. Decide on your priorities. California is big. You'd see a small part of either state. Enjoy.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

may not be a factor for you but have you checked how much the "drop off fee" will be for a rental car, pick up in one city and drop off in another. don't know what you want to do in la so i can't say how long you should be there ... i'd probably want to go to anaheim / disneyland but other then that, i'd get out of la. i'd do 2 nights in santa barbara, 3 or 4 nights between there and san fran, 4 nights in san fran, fly to maui or oahu.

9. Re: California and Hawaii Split Vacation...thoughts...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 06, 2015
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question