We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

My wife and I are having serious strife. So we, together with our 10 and 15 year old children are having a first time, two week visit to California next summer. Original plan -San Diego, Santa Monica (for Univeral, Hollywood and just to say we've been!), Yosemite, San Francisco - seemed pretty good to me. Several people have said to us to skip Santa Monica, or just stay in LA for a night or two, and spend the extra time in Santa Barbara. I'm thing the original is better, my wife prefers the latter. Any advice please guys?

Thank you so much

S

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,753 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

IF you are having "serious strife" with your wife then my advice would be to do what the lady wants to do!!! It might make the strife go away!!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,938 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

Does your trip include any time on Hwy 1 (like Big Sur)?

A "usual" trip might be

San Diego (3-4 n) - Hollywood neighborhood of L.A. (2-4 n) - lunch in Santa Barbara and stay in Pismo Beach (1 n) - drive Big Sur and stay in Monterey (1-2 n) - Yosemite Valley (2-3 n) - San Francisco {drop car when you arrive} (3-4 n) - SFO

What is your current itinerary? What things do you & your family enjoy?

And don't you know the rule "If mama's not happy, no one's happy" or "Happy Wife, Happy Life."? I think you need to include Santa Barbara somewhere in your itinerary!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

I would tend to think Santa Barbara is a bit more romantic - its a small, quaint seaside town. Santa Monica is more of the "big urban city arrives at the coast" sort of place. Beautiful, but not quiet.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

Listen to the wife.

Level Contributor
34,989 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

Santa Barbara is a wonderful place to spend time! :)

London
Level Contributor
135 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

Thank you for all the advice. As well as the insight into the relative merits of your state's attractions, I have gained insight into how much your wives opinions are valued and respected in your beatiful country. Me personally I'm seeking opinion mostly based on fear.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,362 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

Well except for MachThree and I , the rest of these fine members who gave you advise are all women....

RiffM has the best solution...

But on the other hand, if fear makes you do this ...why you have everything to fear except fear itself .....

You won't regret spending time in Santa Barbara

What no Disney for the kids ?

Edited: 12:14 pm, December 15, 2013
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

Well, I'm a woman and don't think you should give in just because of gender roles.

That said, I was born in Santa Monica and lived for 5 years in Santa Barbara (granted, a looonnnnngggg time ago). My completely unbiased and gender-neutral vote is for Santa Barbara.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

Also having lived in both SM and SB, I feel that there is more to do for the kids in Santa Monica than Santa Barbara. There really isn't a lot to do in SB, other than enjoy its beauty. It's a wonderful place to visit with just your wife, as it's very romantic.

10. Re: Santa Monica/ Barbara: Rescue my marriage - please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:08 pm, December 15, 2013
Edited: 3:08 pm, December 15, 2013