We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Topic
Pacific Coast Highway Trip

We are traveling from Idaho over to the redwood forest down PCH to LA. What should we not miss? How many days should we be planning to take? We are not hikers but would love to see the views. Is 17 mile pebble beach worth it? I was hoping to make this trip in 7 days.... any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Hi and Welcome to the forums.

As your questions spans a few states I would suggest posting in the Road Trips forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Boise to LA via Highway 1 is almost 1500 miles, with much of Highway 1 being winding 2 way roads.

IMO Point Lobos State Part just south of Carmel is a vastly better experience than looking at expensive homes through hedges on the 17 Mile Drive.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
49,477 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Is this a drive from Idaho to some redwood Forrest and then down hwy 1 ? What besides redwood and 17 mile drive interests you ? Hard to answer with very limited info. I would suggest you look at the top questions on what to do and see in CA and the list of suggested itineraries to help you plan a great vacation.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Are you planning to visit Redwood NP or do you want to see redwoods at other places like closer to San Francisco? And what time of year are you coming and from where in Idaho?

Tet

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,794 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

IF you are driving from Idaho then why is the location listed under your screen name, Mesa,Arizona???? Confusing!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,523 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Assuming you mean 7 days for the coast trip from the redwoods to LA, you don't have enough time unless you are planning something akin to a death march and are skipping San Francisco. For arguments' sake, let's assume you are starting around Eureka... you'll want to spend 1 night in Eureka, 1 night in Fort Bragg (to allow time to really visit the various redwood parks, take some short walks, etc. (This drive, by the way, is inland for much of the way.)

Then maybe one night in Jenner (along the coast) or perhaps Sonoma (wine country), one night in Monterey, one night in Cambria, one night in Santa Barbara or Santa Monica. That gives you 6 nights, or 7 days.

You can cover more territory by driving longer hours each day, but this coast really rewards lingering and exploring, even if you don't hike*. Two nights in each stop would be ideal, and give you time to relax or explore more of the local area.

(*Moon Outdoor Guides has a good book on "California Hiking". I don't "hike", but I can do the walks they list as Difficulty 1... they're generally short and flat and lead you to some rewarding views.)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,887 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Hi julclaw and welcome to the forums. It will help us help you if you give us a bit more information!

>>I was hoping to make this trip in 7 days<<

Okay, is that 7 days to go from Idaho to LA one way? Where in Idaho?

The Redwoods stretch for about 40-50 miles south of Crescent City and most people spend at least 2 full days there but I don't think you'll have time. From many locations in Idaho it's at least two days' drive just to get to Crescent City.

Your 7 days is quite a short time period. It can be done, but you won't have much time for anything other than driving.

Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Tet, We are coming the week between Christmas and new Years. We are not sure it is worth the extra drive time to go through the actual redwood national park. Opinions?

Edited: 12:22 pm, December 13, 2013
Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

Riff, I am from Mesa but we will already be in Idaho.

Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

half-brit. Thank you this is much needed information.

Can anyone tell me how the Redwood National forest compares to the state parks outside of San Fran? We are coming from Blackfoot ID, down to LA and back to Mesa,AZ We will leave Blackfoot on Christmas Day and need to be back into Mesa by 1/1/14. I do want to spend a day exploring San Fran and I would also like to take a whale watching tour (any recommendations would be great).

Opt 1 is to head from Blackfoot to Portland OR down to Cresent City, CA through the redwoods, down highway 1 to San Fran continuing down to Monterey, CA, Big Sur, Point Lobos, Hearst Castle, Santa Barbra, to LA and then back home to AZ.

Opt 2 is to head from Blackfoot straight to San Fran (via Reno NV) and then go to the two state parks close to SF and then continuing down to Monterey, CA, Big Sur, Point Lobos, Hearst Castle, Santa Barbra, to LA and then back home to AZ.

Since we are very unfamiliar with the time to take other than what google maps are telling us any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We do not drink so taking wine tours do not interest us. Just hubby and I and would like it to be as romantic as possible.

Also any recommendations of places to stay along the way hotels etc would be appreciated.

Mesa, Arizona
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Pacific Coast Highway Trip

WhiteDahlia thanks. We are just trying to get suggestions on the California part of our trip. The other states will just be driving through.