We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

A member recently commented that some of the Top Questions are several years old. While the drive times and scenic stops are likely to be the same today, it does seem that linking threads from 2005 isn't offering the most recent suggestions.

Most of the Traveler Articles use the information in the old forum threads. Some of the Articles even contain links to those old threads in case someone wants to read the original suggestions.

Some of the Traveler Articles are linked to more than one Top Question.

I think it would be great to create a basic 3 day / 2 night itinerary Traveler Article with suggested stops in Monterey and in Cambria or Pismo Beach, since that's the usual suggestion. Itineraries usually go in the Trip Ideas section, but a Traveler Article could be written with a basic itinerary.

So, would the California state DEs who are most familiar with the coastal drive and the coastal DEs like to revise the Top Questions to contain the most useful threads and articles? Or am I the only one who doesn't like 5 - 8 year old threads to be linked to the Top Q?

Would someone like to write a basic suggested drive along the coast?

-----------

FAQ: Drive from LA to SF (or SF to LA) on SR 1? Where to stop? What cities are there?

Where to stop on Hwy 1, What to See, Where to overnight, miles, highlights, alternate routes, etc

■Thread ~ Aug 2005

How many miles?

Miles and route. ... (more)

■Thread ~ July 2007

SF to LA or LA to SF?

Which is the better direction, and why? ... (more)

■Thread ~ July 2008

Where to stop

Ideas of what to see and where to stop, on the drive. ... (more)

■Thread ~ Dec 2007 What not to miss

Be sure to stop at these suggested, beautiful, locales. ... (more)

■Thread ~ Aug 2012 How to find the best spots to stop

Directions to some of the best places on the central coast ... (more)

■Traveler Article ~ begun Aug 2012 & last revised Jun 2013

Driving between Los Angeles and San Francisco

Comparison of the various routes and detailed info about the Hwy 1 coastal drive ... (more)

■Traveler Article ~ begun Aug 2012 & last revised Aug 2013

Highway 1: The Central Coast

Destinations along Hwy 1 between Morro Bay and Santa Cruz ... (more)

■Traveler Article ~ begun Aug 2012 & last revised Jun 2013

Driving between LA and SF and Travel Times

A description of the routes North to South, SF to LA with travel times between various cities. ... (more)

■Traveler Article ~ begun Apr 2010 & last revised Oct 2013

Cities between San Francisco & Los Angeles along the coast.

Cities between San Francisco & Los Angeles along the coast. ... (more)

--------------

FAQ: Travel Times Between LA and SF on the Central Coast

Average travel times between major points of interest along the coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco.

■Thread ~ Sept 2009

Central Coast Travel Times

Average travel times between major points of interest along the coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco. ... (more)

■Traveler Article ~ begun Aug 2012 & last revised Jun 2013 (same article as in previous Top Q)

Driving between LA and SF

The coastal (Hwy 1) as well as the inland (Hwy 101, I-5, and Hwy 99) routes are described. Drive times are included. ... (more)

---------------

FAQ: What to see on the CA Central Coast between Morro Bay and Half Moon Bay?

CA DEs article that is a must read before you leave

■Traveler Article ~ begun Aug 2012 & last revised Aug 2013 (same article as in another Top Q)

What to see on CA 1

Best places to stop on Hwy 1 ... (more)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,460 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

Sorry no one responded...... you know how quickly a post gets buried in the CA general forum by all the city forum questions.

Maybe this bump will get some responses, your ideas are good ones and needed.

If we don't get responses in the bump, maybe repost in the SLO Forum, SF Forum and LA Forum so it gets more visibility.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,164 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

Scott I felt the same way a long time ago as there were way way too many links about the drive and TMI is as good as no info at times

So I took what I thought was the best of those articles and created a primer which is at the bottom of that TQ list . The content in that primer is based on what the coastal DEs wrote and I have mentioned their fine fine names in the article

I think using links to forum posts adds a lot more info than what people need so perhaps a few articles would suffice . I am not wedded to that article and any DE is welcome to update it . We have seen some non CA members edit articles and add their own bias and travel booking sites link hence the word DE. I mean no disrespect to other regulars on this forums who are invited to edit as wiell

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

I guessed that no one was very interested in the coastal Top Q. I went ahead and reordered some of the topics and labeled the ones that are threads.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

Not that no one is interested, but it's about time and effort. Thanks for volunteering PNWF.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

Whew, PNWF, sometimes it's just easier to type things out anew than to work with links and TQ's. Really appreciate what you're trying to do (and your energy). You are the best person to do it, too. It's hard to know when there's TMI (never, from my pov - and I live here too).

If you gave me one "assignment" to do, I'd do it to the best of my ability and then of course be open to anyone else improving/amending it. Just let me know by PM so I"ll remember.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
30,249 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

I'm glad that this topic is getting some attention. As the co-creator of the Los Angeles FAQs and Los Angeles TOP QUESTIONS, I'm not ready to take on another project but I, too, have noticed the long-winded, repetitive, meandering nature of the CA Top Q.

LeB hit in on the head. What's there now has been cobbled together from bits and pieces over a long period of time. It's difficult to 'fix' such a structure -- it really needs to be re-written and redesigned. One way to start is to gather together the topics that are similar: there are lots of links relating to the coastal drive, for example. The Top Q area has a built-in feature that allows links to be assembled in a hierarchical fashion. So, for example, all of these 'coastal drive' links can be placed under ONE link called 'Info about coastal drives'. This way, the initial TOP Q area will be easier to navigate.

Then, duplicate content can be deleted.

Perhaps, that's a way to start.

7. Re: CA and Central Coast DEs ~ time to revise a few Top Q?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 13, 2014