We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ESTA Question

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshunt, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ESTA Question

Hi

So I will be travelling back to the states (LA) for around the 90 day limit (not over). However I have a question.

Because I don't know how bored I am going to get I don't want to book a return flight back yet - however my UK passport has at least 9 USA admittance stamps all showing I have left on time.

My main question is: Can I travel to LA and explain this? Because I don't know if I will want to leave in 1 month or three....!

I have alot of funds in the bank to show any immigration officer that I can afford a 3 month stay and a flight home.

Advice please.

Cheshunt, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ESTA Question

Worst case senario I have no problem buying a return flight when I am there if Immigration want me to prove I will leave, I just really don't want to be setting a return date in stone in those three months yet...

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ESTA Question

You know the rules.

If you arrive by air, you must have a ticket that departs the north American continent within 90 days of your arrival.

The airline may not even board you for your flight to the US if you can't show proof of a departure ticket.

Having multiple US entries may also cause some questions about why you need to visit the US for tourist purposes so often.

If you don't want to buy a departure ticket, then you will need a B2 visa. Those are the rules.

LA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ESTA Question

You won't be allowed to enter the US if you don't have the departure ticket. You won't be able to buy one in the airport as you will not be admitted and your phone probably confisticated. That means you stay in a quarantined area of the airport and are not allowed a phone call or access to the airport facilities. There are vending machines and benches. You would be returned to OZ at the airline's leisure. It could be the next day, it could be several days later.

Edited: 4:40 pm, July 04, 2013
LA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ESTA Question

Meant to say you will be returned to your city of departure, assuming in UK, not OZ. (for some reason I was thinking you were Australian)

Cheshunt, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: ESTA Question

If they are going to be that strict about it, then I guess I will buy a return ticket!!

I know rules are rules at the end of the day.

Cheshunt, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ESTA Question

Before I go and purchase my return flight, have any brits experienced this?

Cheshunt, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: ESTA Question

Bumping to see if any brits can answer this?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
42,014 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ESTA Question

You are asking if a Brit can speak on behalf of ICE ?

What If someone came along from somewhere in UK and posted -- yes, you should be ok. you should not have an issues -- would you believe that person ? And if you got in front of the immigration person (if you did not get stopped earlier) would you argue that some bloke on TA said they had no issues ?

Really?

Perhaps you may want to call your nearest US consulate or embassy.

Edited: 3:39 pm, July 05, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
30,774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ESTA Question

You should ask your question of the authorities in question not of a bunch of travel forum members.

If you insist on this, however, the Thorn Tree forum of Lonely Planet has a lot of people who have faced this and more, and more correct, information, I think, than you will find here.

10. Re: ESTA Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 07, 2014