We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Topic
Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

Hi there, we are 2 brothers, age 19 and 20, living in Spain, as we have done our whole lives. We are American on my father's side and Spanish on my mother's side.

It's been years since we've been in the US and we were thinking about visiting our (much much) older step sister who owns a house in Newport Beach. The plan would be to go there the two of us and my dad, and hopefully stay at that house. Otherwise we could stay at a cousin's house in Pasadena. We will probably be there for the best part of July, about 3 weeks in total.

So for the question I am going to make please take into account we will have cars available, lodging sorted out, and we speak perfect English and Spanish. So we'll get to the point.

What is there to do for 2 young guys like us we we arrive in Cali?

We love bodyboarding, driving around to discover new places, eating out, but most importantly, we would like to meet people our age in LA area, and Pasadena or newport Beach. Any tips for this? Maybe by going bodyboarding we will meet new friends? Any associations we can go to? Btw, we are members of the beach club in Malibu...

What do people our age do in their free time? and where do they hang out?

Sorry for the questions, they are many and they may seem obvious, but remember that when we arrive there we will be completely lost and would like to make the most of our trip to our second homeland. Maybe it will be years before we can go back.

If a kind soul could reply, we would be really apprreciative. THANKYOU ALL!!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,219 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

Going to the Malibu club where you belong is a shortcut to meeting many people your age. Going to the beach in both Newport Beach and in Santa Monica (if staying in Pasadena), is another way to meet people. Will you have a car?

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

Yes, we will have a car. The most probable outcome is being lodged in Newport Beach. Is the bodyborading good in the wedge?

Edited: 4:11 pm, April 07, 2013
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

I would stay at Newport Beach, and check around, maybe some clubs in the Huntington Beach area, which has a lot of water sport events and nearby..

www.surfcityusa.com

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
27,219 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

Since you're both under 21, going to a club or bar is not an option, sorry.

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

Thanks! Can we go from central Newport to huntington beach by foot? Or is is best by car?

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

When I said "clubs", I meant Sports "membership" Clubs such as a that focuses on Body Surfing/Body-boarding, not a food/drink establishment.

As for getting between Newport Beach and Huntington Beach, they are close to each other, but not walking distance. You can get bicycles and do it fairly easy, or take the local public bus, OCTA Route 1 is popular and goes between the two areas. Of course, a car will work, but then you have to deal with parking, which would more than likely be paid parking.

Madrid, Spain
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

OK, the paid parking bit is important information, thankyou very much.

And how much does the bus cost?

8. Re: Trip to California in Summer. Can we have a few tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 09, 2014