We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Going to California for 10 days, will it be possible to see Yosemite NP, San Francisco, Napa/Sonoma Valley, Sacramento. Monterey? Any suggestions? Four of us will be traveling, ages 57, 51, 17, and 14 years of age.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Pauma Valley, CA
Level Contributor
405 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

LOL november_moon! I was wondering the same thing. No disrespect Fresno, but not much to see there. I would drive from Yosemite to SLO and spend two nights there. Visit Pismo and Morro Bay.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
San Anselmo...
Level Contributor
589 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Forget Fresno why San Luis, absent family. So far to my mind your travel plans are far too ambitious I do not think you will really see much of anything.

And because I am a contrarian don't go to Lake Tahoe except to gamble. It is beautiful, so look at pictures. I have since my distant youth found it pretentious. Besides it is hard to water ski there (I was good in my youth) unless you have an insanely powerful boat.

If I may San Francisco, Yosemite, places to stay being very difficult, Monterey overnight to visit the aquarium (during the week only) and maybe one night in Sonoma after a few stops at wineries along highway 12 and a walking tour of the historic buildings around the square. A lot more rational to my mind.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe
584 Reviews
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Remember we'll be traveling with a 14 & 17 year old. Need to keep them enthused.

Edited: 12:33 pm, April 17, 2013
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,761 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

What enthuses your teens in Fresno? Island Waterpark on Hwy 99? Shopping in an air-conditioned mall?

What do they like to do?

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

This is our first time ever in California. What my teens like to do and see, well..........

museums, amusement parks, nature, history. I would love to experience a wine tour, but I don't think the boys would like to spend a day doing such.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,761 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

What is it about Fresno that appeals to you? It's a flat Central Valley town, probably 100+ degrees in early August, lots of regular families going about their lives, some youth "unrest", and so on. You've included it on your wish list a few times, but unless you have a strong reason to visit, I think it could be skipped in favor of more traditional tourist destinations.

Sacramento will be a little bit cooler and has some tourist 'attractions' like Old Sacramento and the State Capital. There are also lots of regular families and some youth "unrest." Will that satisfy your need to see a California town?

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Sacramento
Sacramento
California
LA
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Fresno in August? Yipes. No Thankyou.

Think about Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park. Cooler, in the mountains with sightseeng and hiking.

I'd say Yes to Lake Tahoe. At least it will be warm enough to get partially in the water.

Edited: 1:13 pm, April 17, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Lake Tahoe
Lake Tahoe
584 Reviews
California
LA
Level Contributor
11,030 posts
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Another option might be to cross over Yosemite via Tioga Pass and visit the gorgeous eastern Sierra.

Bodie State Park Ghost Town

Mono Lake

June Lakes

Mammoth Lakes and Devil's Postpile

Ancient Bristlecone Forest

Alabama Hills where many famous western movies were shot

Death Valley (there are places to stay in August there, including a pool)

Mentioned in this post
Mono Lake
Mono Lake
735 Reviews
California
Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes
California
Ancient Bristlecone Forest
Ancient Bristlecone...
9 Reviews
California
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Okay. Got it, dropping Fresno. My kids would like to do white water rafting, maybe even horse back ride. They also mentioned a train tide. Can someone give me an idea of how to do this road trip. I don't want to drive in circles the whole time we're there.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Summer vacation in late July, early Aug.

Okay. Got it, dropping Fresno. My kids would like to do white water rafting, maybe even horse back ride. They also mentioned a train tide. Can someone give me an idea of how to do this road trip. I don't want to drive in circles the whole time we're there.

Mentioned in this post
Fresno
Fresno
California