We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in Cambria or Carmel?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
One night in Cambria or Carmel?

We are planning a 2 days trip driving from Anaheim to San Francisco during the end of May. I have been reading the forums but I am torn between staying overnight in Carmel or Cambria. Will I be able to squeeze Hearst Castle on the first day and stay overnight at Carmel? I read that Carmel has more things to do there.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,172 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

More information would be helpful. What is your full itinerary? Where are you going after Carmel and for how long?

Have you mapped this out? Assuming you want to use Highway 1, Anaheim to Carmel would be a very, very long drive.

http://goo.gl/maps/XeZ4P

Google Maps say over 6 hours, I'd say it is closer to 8 hours of driving without stops to eat and get gas. The Google Maps formula assumes you can drive roughly 60mph the whole way and that just is not possible.

Stop in Cambria as your overnight place if you are traveling from the LA area to the SF Bay area.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

Cambria will be more half way. Agree with Scott.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

<<Will I be able to squeeze Hearst Castle on the first day and stay overnight at Carmel?>>

In a word "No." Not if you plan on driving Route 1 up the coast.

This drive is much better with two overnight stops.

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

It will take you at least 5 hours just to get to Cambria.

The drive between Hearst Castle and Carmel needs at least 5 hours to do the drive any kind of justice.

Cambria is the logical mid way stop. Even more so if you want to tour Hearst Castle.

Level Contributor
36,689 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

The Blue Whale Inn, The Fireside Inn, the Pelican Cove Inn are all nice places to stay in Cambria. The El Colibri is another place to consider in Cambria.

www.centralcoast.com. :).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

Thank you guys! I think we have decided to drive from Anaheim to Carmel. Stay overnight and check out Hearst Castle the next day. We will continue our drive straight to San Francisco after that.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

Think you mean: Drive from Anaheim to Cambria or?? Carmel is a long way from Hearst Castle.

8. Re: One night in Cambria or Carmel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 14, 2014