We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for Road Trip-Help needed please

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for Road Trip-Help needed please

Hi,we are planning to come to California in mid September and need some help planning a route that is not too tiring with some beach time included,we were planning on 14 nights but we are open to suggestions if another couple would make it more enjoyable.

The places we wanted to see were San Francisco.Bryce,Grand Canyon,Yosemite,and the drive along the coast between SF and LA stopping off for nights in various places, although we are not interested in staying any nights in LA unless that is where we fly home from.

Ideally we would like 3 nights in SF and 5 nights by various beaches but we are not sure if this is feasible as I don't want it to be too tiring.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,199 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for Road Trip-Help needed please

For beach time, LA or Southern California is your best bet. The coast north of Santa Barbara is a more rugged one with cold water and a lot of fog although September is usually the warmest month.

Since your road trip includes Arizona and Utah, you would be best to repost your question on the road trips forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Solihull, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for Road Trip-Help needed please

Hi,Thanks for the suggestion,I have put it in the road trip forum as well.

Nick

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,287 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for Road Trip-Help needed please

In order to get to warm weather, swimming, sunning beaches, you have to go far south of San Francisco, around the Santa Barbara area or further, so I'd plan that towards the end of the trip, when you'll want to just relax for a few days... perhaps Santa Barbara or Santa Monica.

Unfortunately, Bryce and Grand Canyon are far enough away that you will add several days driving time to your holiday to get there, explore, and drive back to the California coast.

You could do:

LA - Grand Canyon - 2 nights there (7 hour drive)

Grand Canyon - Bryce - 1 night there (5 hour drive)

Bryce - Las Vegas - 1 night there (4 hour drive)

Las Vegas - Yosemite Park - 2 nights (7-9 hour drive, depending on route) (possible overnight stop at Death Valley)

Yosemite - San Francisco - 3-4 nights (4 hour drive)

Then at least 2 nights along the coast between SF and LA

Plus your beach time

As you can see, I don't think this qualifies as a trip that's not "too tiring". I'd drop Bryce and Grand Canyon to add that time to each destination so you can really enjoy each place. Or just bring more money and come for longer!

4. Re: Itinerary for Road Trip-Help needed please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 19, 2014