I am going to write down our plans for our California holiday and really appreciate any further ideas, critisism, advice etc?
We are a couple, flying in and out of LA, 24th June-13th July 2013. Our flights are booked but nothing else yet. We dont have any specific budget and just want to have a great time maybe stay in some luxury and some budget hotels.
1) 3/4 nights in LA to start (no hotel ideas yet but thinking Hollywood area) We want to visit a theme park and do all the normal touristy stuff. Hire a decent budget car on our 4th day in LA (purchase a satnav from somewhere in LA and we will book the car well in advance).
2) Drive to LV and stay 5 nights. Probably in the MGM Grand Hotel. I am amazed at how cheap LV hotels are in comparrison to LA where some really dodgy reviewed places cost even more than LV!
3) Drive through Death Valley (stop and look at the scenery etc but obviously it is HOT so we will be careful)
5) Drive the Tioga Pass (presuming it will be open in July), towards our lodgings or campsite in or around Yosemite. We like the idea of camping and can buy camping supplies somewhere enroute we presume? We want to see El Capitan, Half Dome etc but are not sure where it would be best to stay? We dont want to do any huge hikes but would like a break from driving! Another possible issue is that we are likely to be doing this drive on the 4th July! Staying 2 nights in Yosemite. I have read the articles advising people to avoid the park on 4th july and also read posts from people saying it is fine. We will try and book our stay ASAP. Still need to research a bit into this bit so any help is welcome.
6) Drive from yosemite to SF and stay 4/5 nights. (No hotel ideas yet). Still undecided on whether to have arranged to drop the car on arriving in SF and then hire another one for the drive back to LA or just keep it?
7) Drive to LA with possibly 1 night in Santa Barbara or somewhere else down the coast?
8) Last one or two nights in LA again to rest a little before our flight back.
Just to confirm, these numbers are the STEPS and not days. Appreciate any thoughts!!