We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

petaluma
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

I know they say you are requried to bring tire chains in during the winter . But do they check if there in your car. what happens if it snows and you dont have then . I am renting a 4 wheel drive

Level Contributor
5 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

Even with 4WD sometimes the cops will require you to put chains on. They have checkpoints that are usually conveniently located next to stores that only sell tire chains. If it dumps snow be prepared to deal with this.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

The rangers in Yosemite can require even 4 WD to install chains if the weather is particularly bad. While Caltrans is least likely to ever require that on state controlled roads, on Federal land they can require what ever they want.

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

<What happens if it snows and you don't have them>

I do not believe the ranger checks for tire chains upon entry into the park because they probably assume that the driver is responsible and is telling the truth.

Assuming a person was asked by the ranger upon entering the park if they had chains, and the person said that they had chains when, in fact, they did not have chains and then the weather dumped snow and tire chains became mandatory, the person at that point may receive a hefty fine for being in violation if trying to drive.

Personally, I would not take my chances to be without chains -- and never say I have chains when I do not have chains -- because the weather in the mountains can change very quickly. Not only would I be subjecting myself in trying to find lodging -- which might not be available closeby -- but I would expect to receive a significant fine if I were trying to drive without chains when chains were mandatory which is in violation of federal law (if I am not mistaken).

And stores that sell tire chains just might not be located around the next curve in the road so I could hurriedly buy some and put them on my car.

(Sorry to rant -- I can never say anything in just a word or two on this forum.)

Nevada
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

To be clear, and this may sound negative heaven forbid, but let me add this -- driving inside Yosemite National Park without chains when chains are mandatory is against federal law becuase it is a federal property.

A good idea is to call ahead and check the weather and road conditions inside the park before you enter.

Safety first!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
60,237 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

Hi

The Yosemite NP forum page has info about tire chains in the Top Questions in the upper right of that page. (This page is about the entire state.)

I have put chains on my 4WD truck, tho' it wasn't in Yosemite. I'm sure glad I had those chains with me or I would not have gotten home!

>> what happens if it snows and you don't have them << You are stuck in Yosemite, perhaps sleeping in a lobby if there are no rooms left. And you get a ticket.

6. Re: Chains requried Yosmite. National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 22, 2014