We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Plan Questions - May 27th to June 10th

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
120 posts
292 reviews
Travel Plan Questions - May 27th to June 10th

Hello everyone, I need some help with my travel plans.

We arrive in SFO on May 27th and I had planned to stay in SFO for 3 nights before setting out to Cambria, LA, Tusyan, LV, Death Valley, Bishop and Back to SF.

However, I am now thinking about leaving SF until our last 3 days. In other words drive from SFO to Reno? overnight there and then Death Valley (Furnace Creek), LV, Tusyan, LA, Cambria and SF.

What is the weather like traveling to RENO, snow ? road closures this time of year.

Does anyone have any better options that cover these areas or overnights.

It is allot of driving around 2,000 miles but have covered similar distances in other parts of US.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
51,228 posts
99 reviews
1. Re: Travel Plan Questions - May 27th to June 10th

May 27th is Memorial Day and many folks will be on the road. However once you get out of the Bay Area you may not encounter as much of it.

I still prefer spending your first 3 days in SF (the city) after you arrive on your flight to SFO (the airport.) It's easy to transfer into the city, get over the jet lag, enjoy your tourism, and then pick up a rental car to begin the driving portion of your trip.

If you go with Option A, which mountain pass were you thinking of using from Bishop? Is Reno on that itinerary?

Level Contributor
120 posts
292 reviews
2. Re: Travel Plan Questions - May 27th to June 10th

Thanks, On option A i.e Bishop back to SFO we would travel US-395 N to CA-92 W. Reno would not be on this as we would travel from Bishop and overnight somewhere close to SF for the flight next morning.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
51,228 posts
99 reviews
3. Re: Travel Plan Questions - May 27th to June 10th

Hwy 92 is the San Mateo Bridge in the Bay Area.

I'm wondering if you're hoping that Tioga Pass is open & visiting the high country in Yosemite, if you're headed further north to Sonora Pass which usually opens a few days earlier, or if you're going all the way to Carson Pass which is open year round.

Crossing the Sierra: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g61000-c158581

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Travel Plan Questions - May 27th to June 10th

I''d leave Tioga Pass and Yosemite till the end of your trip and skip Reno. With Tusayan you''ll be staying close to Grand Canyon NP but nothing can beat staying inside GCNP www.grandcanyonlodges.com

Personally I''d leave the SF visit till the end of your trip and relax. You''ll be up early after the flight and best for us to cope with our jetlag is hit the road immediately.

Tet

5. Re: Travel Plan Questions - May 27th to June 10th

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 19, 2014