We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12-14 day holiday California in November

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
7 posts
12-14 day holiday California in November

Hello all.

I am planning a holiday for November 2013 , we would love to explore an area in California. We have 2 children aged 6 and 7 so need to consider them. My wife would really like some time on a beach and I would like to see some wildlife and also watch a live football game (not mentioned this one to the wife yet )

I guess car/ hotels will be the the most logical option. We would like to concentrate on a relatively small area and spend around 3 nights at a time . I have seen some travel itineraries and it seems like one night then drive another 200 miles stay for one night then another 200miles.

So if any folk out there can advise on the best areas in California to suit I would really appreciate it .

Many thanks

G.Coop

Leicester, United...
7 posts
1. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

Oh I forgot to say we will be flying from the UK and have the choice to arrive at LAX or SFO.....

Edited: 3:47 am, December 28, 2012
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
47,190 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

Does your wife know that November beaches are not for sunbathing? Stormy beach walking may be more of what she'll get.

How about this favorite loop? SFO - SF - Yosemite Valley - Hwy 1 coast / Monterey - SFO.

Suggestions for a family with 2 school age kids

SF - cable cars, Cable Car Museum, Musee Mechanique, SF Maritime Historical Park, maybe a football game (professional or college ... lots of options), boat ride or Alcatraz tour

Yosemite Valley - walks, Junior Ranger Program, huge trees, throwing sticks in the river (endlessly entertaining for kids!), bike rental

Monterey - Dennis the Menace Park (just a playground type park ... very fun), Aquarium, Point Lobos State Park (marine mammals & birds), Elkhorn Slough (lots of marine mammals), rugged coast, lovely beach

=====================

If you'd prefer a Southern California itinerary, how about L.A. - Anaheim - San Diego? Each of those 3 places have lots of activity options. Check with folks on the Anaheim forum if you are considering this; you'll want to carefully select any days you spend in Disneyland (busy pre-Christmas days, quieter weekdays, huge conferences, etc.)

The Top Questions about California in the upper right has some more info.

====================

Do your best to avoid the busy Thanksgiving holiday and to plan carefully if you're here for Veteran's Day (Mon Nov 11, 2013.)

Leicester, United...
7 posts
3. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

Thank you very much for you're valued advise.

I think we will go to for the SF loop that seems to cover all options for us.

Time for research now !

Thanks again !

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
47,190 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

Excellent choice. In my opinion, the best place for planning your time in each destination is the city/destination forum. Read their Top Questions & Itineraries in the upper right first, then post your questions.

For Monterey, also read Mr. Toy's website: www.montereypeninsula.info

Leicester, United...
7 posts
5. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

The area looks so beautiful we have decided to be flexible with our times for visiting we do love warm weather so could visit anytime between July and November . Bearing in mind our route when would you say is the best time of year to spend two weeks ?

Level Contributor
44 posts
6. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

Hello! If you're flexible as to the dates and still keen on flying into San Francisco, then I would recommend August or September. August tends to be the warmest month for Northern California. There could still be some fog in the city, but it usually burns off by midday. Also, football preseason begins in August and you might have a good chance of catching a 49ers preseason game at the 'Stick :)

As for beaches, I would recommend Crissy Field Beach. It's not a giant beach but a lively one with an excellent view of the Golden Gate Bridge. It can sometimes get a too windy there for lounging, but its a great place for a picnic lunch. Lots of joggers, bicyclists, dog walkers and families go there. It is also accessible by public transit if you don't rent a car. If you do have a car, there is plenty of parking. Oh, and it is also walking distance to the Palace of Fine Arts and the Marina District shops.

Leicester, United...
7 posts
7. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

Hey thanks very much ! I appreciate that ! Sounds great !

8. Re: 12-14 day holiday California in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 02, 2014