We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

Which California hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

Wednesday - arrive in San Jose at 11:30 - drive to Carmel/ Monterrey and do the 17 mile drive (sleep in carmel)

Thursday - drive from Carmel/Monterrey to San Francisco - stopping along the way in santa cruz and Half Moon Bay (sleep in San Francisco)

Friday - drive from SFO to Sonoma (about 1 hour) sleep there

Saturday - drive from Sonoma to Napa (sleep there)

Sunday - spend morning in Napa /St. Helena then in afternoon drive San Francisco (sleep in SFO)

Monday- spend the morning near hotel fly out at 1:00pm

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
44,687 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

It is feasible but the question is , it is advisable ?

There is a lot more to see in Monterey/Carmel then the 17 mile drive so please check that forum and read the TA section on what to do.

Most would contend that SF needs 2-3 full days to get a flavor of it but I think you are doing just about a day and a half.

You mention SFO a few times. Are you referring to staying at the Airport and not the city ? SFO is 13 miles south of SF.

Napa and Sonoma are close to each other, why not stay in one place and drive instead of moving hotels Unless you have a list of wineries and wines you have to visit/taste I would spend one day in wine country and add an extra day to SF.

Most would suggest not having a car in SF as parking and driving is a pain. Perhaps you can combine your days in SF and get rid of the car after seeing Monterey and the coast and then driving North to Wine Country.

Others including me would suggest taking a tour of Napa or Sonoma county with a small tour bus instead of driving and trying to drink/taste

Plenty to think about. At the end of the day it is your vacation but at this point it feels too rushed

Are you flying out from SJC ?

Edited: 6:53 pm, December 11, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

I have been to San Francisc Napa and Sonoma. I plan on flying into san jose and out of san Francisco. I plan to stay in San Francisco and not the hotel. I definitely want to do a not in Napa and one in Sonoma. I do know a lot about wines and have specific vineyards I would like to see.

I want to see more in Carmel and Monterey. I am just trying to figure out if the drive from San Juan to Monterey is feasible and then up to San Francisco from there.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
44,687 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

If you have been to SF and want to see more of Monterey/Carmel then perhaps you could spend a couple of nights there and drive to see the Big Sur -- at least through Big Sur Village and back.

Yes the drive from San Jose to Monterey is feasible and so is the drive along Hwy 1 to SF and then to Sonoma and Napa.

maps.google.com is a great tool to map your trip.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,327 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

In the Monterey area don't miss Point Lobos. If you are short of time, drop the 17 mile drive and substitute Point Lobos Nature Preserve. 17 mile drive is a nice ride along the shore and with views of golf courses and expensive houses.

Point Lobos is spectacular.

http://tinyurl.com/b53omaz

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

Based on your response in #2 it sounds like your only question is whether one can do San Jose (not San Juan) to Monterey and then to SF the next day.

The fast answer is: yes. It is feasible. And based upon the rest of your itinerary, which you indicate you are familiar with, it's consistent with your travel style to spend a little time in a lot of places.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

When is this trip? Holiday weekends are busy in the wine country.

You might consider going to Napa and Sonoma before your stay in San Francisco. That way you can spend two nights in the same hotel in the city and also ditch the car sooner.

Napa and Sonoma are only 20 minutes apart. You could stay in one for two nights and see both towns. If you are wanting to visit the upper Napa Valley and/or the Russian River/Dry Creek areas, then staying in two places makes more sense.

7. Re: San Francisco Schedule - is this feasible?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 18, 2013