We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Hollywood to Legoland

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Transport from Hollywood to Legoland

I'm traveling to th US in 2013 with my husband and 2 children. We need to get from Hollywood to Legoland, Carlsbad and then 3 days later from Carlsbad to Dan Diego. We will have 4 large pieces of luggage as well as 4 carry on cases to transport with us.

If anyone can suggest any modes of yea sport that would be great. I have looked in to car hire, but I'm not sure if there are cars that will fit so much luggage.

Thanks in advance :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,969 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Hollywood to Legoland

Yes there are cars that fit that amount of luggage and with that amount of luggage a car is your best alternative.

You could get a shuttle from Hollywood to Carlsbad (I assume you plan on spending the night?) and then you could hire a shuttle from Carlsbad to your hotel in San Diego, but it is likely to be more than renting a car would be.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,969 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Hollywood to Legoland

You also could consider packing lighter.

You don't need to pack clothes for your entire trip. You can choose hotels that have coin operated self serve laundry facilities on site. There are chains like Residence Inns by Marriott, Homewood Suites by Hilton and Candlewood Suites by Intercontinenetal (Holiday Inn) that not only have the on-site laundry, but complete kitchens in the rooms as well.

And those are not the only chains that will have on-site laundry, there are any number of brands that will as well.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Hollywood to Legoland

An SUV with a third row or a minivan should be able to hold your luggage. It is your vacation but as Scott said, you may want rethink the number of bags you are bringing. We are a family of 4 and when we travel for say 2 or 3 weeks, we carry at most one week's clothes. If your kids are the Legoland age, we were able to pack 2 kids' clothes in one checkin bag at that age

Traveling around CA without a car is not much fun and you will be mostly restricted to just the area around the hotel. Most folks would be happy with one day at Legoland, perhaps 2.

If you travel around the US, most carriers except Southwest wil charge you an arm and a leg for 4 bags.

Edited: 1:56 pm, December 09, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Hollywood to Legoland

Thanks everyone!

I have thought about packing lighter, but we will be there for 4 weeks and we plan to do a bit of shopping whist traveling.

We are staying 3 nights at the new legoland resort so we won't need a car while we are there, but we do plan on having one a few days in San Diego, but it doesn't have to fit luggage in it so a little compact car will do fine.

:)

5. Re: Transport from Hollywood to Legoland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, December 17, 2013