We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

Hi everyone, can anyone advise me how long it will take me to drive from Eureka to Point Reyes using Hwy 1. From google maps, I estimate about 8 hours. I can manage to drive 8 hours non-stop but I will be missing enjoying the scenery. If I have to break for the night, where will the stop be? My budget for the motel/hotel is $110-$130. Thanks ahead for the advise.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

I'd stop in Fort Bragg for the night. You'll find some economical hotels/motels there & you'll have time to explore the Avenue of the Giants & the area around Fort Bragg & Mendocino a little bit before moving on.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

Agree Lots of interesting stops. You my consider taking a side trip along the Lost Coast if not too foggy. One of my favorite drives. You pick it up at Ferndale (a most lovely village of Victorian homes) returning to 101/1 through the Humboldt Redwood Forest. Make a great day ending at Fort Bragg.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

Ft. Bragg

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,745 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

Yes, Fort Bragg would be good.

On your way down, after that, you might stop in Gualala to visit the arts center. A lot of really good local art and objects. Stop at the Timber Cove Inn just for the sheer beauty of the coast and the architecture of the Inn. Have a coffee in the lobby and admire the huge stone fireplace. 3 miles south of that stop at Fort Ross State Historical park from the days when Russia had a trading outpost on the coast in the early 1800's.

The road from here, 13 miles to Jenner, rivals Big Sur for scenery.

The next stop is Bodega Bay. On the way you will pass several state beaches, accessible, which are great for walking on, but not for swimming, and watch your back against the "rogue" waves which come in unexpectedly.

Bodega Bay is a small fishing village where Alfred Hitchcock filmed parts of "The Birds".

From here the road goes inland until Tomales Bay. Oysters here. Sample cheese at Cow Girl's Creamery, take the interpretive 'earthquake walk' in Point Reyes.

And have a great trip. It is one of my favorites.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

Thanks for the advice. I shall break at Fort Bragg.

6. Re: Redwood National Park to Point Reyes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, December 16, 2013