We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silicon Valley tour

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Silicon Valley tour

I'm looking to do a Silicon Valley tour where I can see all the big tech companies in a half or full day tour? Any ideas or recommendations? Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silicon Valley tour

what sort of a tour are you planning to do ? Just drive around looking at concrete and glass buildings from the outside ? That is what you could do on your own. There is no tourist tour of Silicon valley companies. You need to be affiliated with a University or a company and visit through them if you want to make this a purposeful visit.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Silicon Valley tour

Yeah wanting to visit companies like Facebook and apple and get tours within? You're saying that's only possible with inside contacts?

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Silicon Valley tour

Yeah wanting to visit companies like Facebook and apple and get tours within? You're saying that's only possible with inside contacts?

Edited: 1:08 am, October 09, 2012
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silicon Valley tour

They don't give tours. As an alternative, you could visit Stanford U, where many of these companies sprung from (Cisco System, Yahoo, Google, just to name some). They do give campus tours at Stanford. You can also visit the Tech Museum at San Jose.

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Silicon Valley tour

Thanks for the suggestions! What's the cheapest way to get from San Francisco to Stanford/San Jose?

Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Silicon Valley tour

Thanks for the suggestions! What's the cheapest way to get from San Francisco to Stanford/San Jose?

San Francisco Bay
Level Contributor
3,086 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silicon Valley tour

CalTrain, the train from SF to San Jose, that has a stop in Palo Alto, where Stanford is. That's Leland Stanford JUNIOR University, officially.

See

http://www.caltrain.com/riderinfo.html

It's a very spread out campus, so bring your walking shoes.

If you want a tour of University of California at Berkeley, you can take a 30 minute BART ride to Berkeley and see where the real geniuses study. Tours of the beautiful campus also given. Nobel prize winners get a free parking space.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silicon Valley tour

Here is a link to Stanford's campus tours:

www.stanford.edu/dept/visitorinfo/tours/

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
48,168 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silicon Valley tour

If you want to get an idea of the history of Silicon valley, then I would visit the Computer History Museum in Mountain View. I don't know how to get there by public transport. I know there is the same Caltrain to Mt View and there may be a bus there but a cab would be easier as it is not too far from the Caltrain station. That plus the Tech Museum may be the way to get a flavor of Silicon Valley. A tour of the two Universities is a good idea perhaps the Engineering tour.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,731 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Silicon Valley tour

I think the Tech Museum, Computer History Museum, or a tour of Stanford would be much more interesting than getting a tour of FB, Google, etc. anyway. These companies are really just made up of buildings with people inside doing their work - working in cubes, having meetings, getting coffee, talking about the football game last night... It is kind of fun to see the quirky work environments (fun decor or whatever) and marvel at the fact that the fancy coffee is free, as is lunch in the cafeteria, but really it is just a bunch of people doing their jobs. The really interesting tours are at places like the semiconductor companies were they are actually building something physical - you can see the robotic machines doing stuff. Of course you need an in to tour those companies too.