We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Hi there,

My partner and I (mid-30's) are heading to USA/Canada for a 7 week trip in Late September. We're basing ourselves in cities for a good portion of our trip, but want to do the drive from San Fran to Seattle, we have two weeks in all, but would like to spend around a week of that in and around Portland.

The above is just in case there is other advice...

I'm really wondering what the pros and cons of hwy 1 vs hwy 101 north of San Fran are?

My partner and I love coastal views, but forests too (Must see Redwoods!!), and would like to do a few walks, good food and drink (beer more than wine) too.

Just trying to decide which route would be best for us - any suggestions?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

I don't see any cons traveling hwy 1 unless time is a factor. You'll return to hwy 101 at Leggett, near the Avenue of the Giants. You won't miss any redwood forests taking hwy 1. The best are at the Ave and north.

Edited: 1:23 am, May 12, 2012
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,407 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Hwy 1 is the way to go if you have the time. Fort Bragg has good beer. So does Fortuna, Eureka, Arcata, McKinleyville and Blue Lake. Except for Fort Bragg, these are all near Humboldt Bay off of Hwy 101.

The best redwoods start at Richardson Grove on Hwy 101 and go up to Jedidiah Smith near Crescent City. Will Smith just finished shooting his latest movie, "After Earth" in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

times-standard.com/localnews/ci_20537989/aft…

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Since you are going to Seattle, make sure and post on the Oregon and Washington forums OR the road trip forum. Good Luck. Chuck...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
96 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Great, that's very helpful. When I've fine-tuned it a bit I will ask for some more feedback.

Cheers,

Tych

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Highway 1 :-)

Here is some info about Redwood National Park. Happy reading!

shannontech.com/ParkVision/…Redwood.html

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS (Ferndale)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g32363-c144314/Eureka…

…suddenlink.net/popenoe/scenes/Trinidad.htm (Trinidad)

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=2464 (drive thru trees)

http://redwoods.info/showrecord.asp?id=476 (Fern canyon)

redwoodhikes.com/Jed%20Smith/Jed%20Smith.html

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

http://www.exploredelnorte.com/

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60944-c139445/Cresce…

california
Level Contributor
367 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Before you get to the redwoods there;s not much to see on 101, OTOH hwy 1 is scenic, but can be a bit scary if windy roads w/ cliff on one side frightens you. At least heading north you won't be on the cliff side of the road.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

well, abgoing has good post Cal-1 can be scary. Not sure my wife would agree to going south on it. A lot of Cal-1 does not have beach access. though some does.

If you continue on 101 through Oreg you get a lot of good ocean views. And if pressed fpr time might suggest you skip Cal-1. but time does not seem to be big issue for youi

Everyone with your interests should do it at least once. There are some great ocean views.

Edited: 8:23 pm, May 12, 2012
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Hwy 101 is nice. Starting past Santa Rosa Healdsburg is gorgeous. The rolling hills are pretty. Hopland is a neat little town. Near Laytonville you might spot a herd of Roosevelt Elk.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

If you start at Bodega Bay, there are only 8 miles, north of Jenner, where Hwy 1 goes high on the cliffs. The rest of the drive is just fine. And the views are worth that 8 miles. There are frequent turnouts.

If you start from San Francisco, however, after driving across the Golden Gate Bridge, the first part of *that* is scary even to me, and, anyway, after about 15 miles or so, Hwy 1 goes inland until Bodega Bay. I would take Hwy 101 to Petaluma, take the East Washington Street exit and go through town, which puts you on the Bodega Hwy.

However, if you want to make time to visit the Point Reyes National Seashore, then I would go to Mill Valley and get to the coast at Stinson Beach, thus missing the first scary part. Then continue north, skirting Tomales Bay (which grows oysters) and inland to Bodega Bay.

But Point Reyes is something like 65,000 acres and needs at least a day in itself.

I would not miss a drive up Hwy 1. As mentioned, parts of Hwy 101 can be pretty, but there is no comparison with the coast.

Edited: 10:30 pm, May 12, 2012
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving North of SF Highway 1 or 101?

Puter, good post. Only 8 miles seemed like 80.

We have driven cal-1 three or four times but mostly from Jenner. I do not remember much about if from SF to Jenner. but maybe that is what I remember as scary.

Edited: 11:07 pm, May 12, 2012