We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xmas/New Year LA to SF trip

UK
4 posts
Save Topic
Xmas/New Year LA to SF trip

My husband and I are planning a trip to include San Fran, LA and Las Vegas. We have a little over 2-3 weeks. What would be the best route considering we would be arriving around 18th December I.e where would be best to stop for Xmas and new year

Is this a good time or year to go or are we wasting our trip by going during Xmas holidays and weatherwise.

Any help please

Thanks

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,360 Reviews
from $105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,796 Reviews
from $126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,628 Reviews
from $61.20*
$68.00
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,998 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xmas/New Year LA to SF trip

It's waaay too soon to know what December's weather will be like this year. This past year was dry and the roads were all open. The year before was a wet/snowy year, roads closed early and the coast road through Big Sur closed in 3 locations over 3 months due to slip outs and slides.

I would just plan on Tioga Road/Pass being closed by December, so you likely won't be able to get to SF through Yosemite from Las Vegas.

Here's one possible itinerary:

LA: 4 nights

Las Vegas: 3 nights

Santa Barbara: 2 nights

Cambria: 1 night

Monterey/Carmel: 2 nights

SF: 4 nights

That's 16 nights, so if your trip is for 3 weeks, you can add time to one of the above cities or add more stops along the coast.

www.santabarbaraca.com

www.cambriachmaber.org/

www.hearstcastle.org/

www.bigsurcalifornia.org/

www.seemonterey.com

UK
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Xmas/New Year LA to SF trip

Thank you that is really helpful advice

3. Re: Xmas/New Year LA to SF trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, April 10, 2013