We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

St Germans...
Level Contributor
24 posts
293 reviews
Save Topic
Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

With a lifelong interest in Horticulture and trees I have always wanted to see some of the giant Redwood Trees in California. There are two closely related but distinct species.

1. The coastal Redwood Sequoia sempervirens

2. The giant Redwoods of the high Sierra Nevada. Sequoiadendron giganteum

On a previous visit to California I did get to see Muir woods near San Francisco but due to a booking error I didn’t get to the Redwoods of the Sierra Nevada.

Not to be defeated I am planning to return to California. I would be most grateful for any advice about the location of the finest Redwood trees and how to get there from San Francisco. Also what is the best time to visit?.

Mentioned in this post
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
148 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Sierra Nevada
Sierra Nevada
7 Reviews
California
Muir Beach
Muir Beach
194 Reviews
Muir Beach, CA
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
56,774 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

One place to see the Sierra Nevada is the Yosemite National Park. That park is a must see for any nature lover and I am sure you love love it too given your love for Horticulture. The best time to go there would be June through Sept. -- the earlier the better as you wil see the waterfalls at their fines. Perhaps late May would be ok before the schools close and families descend there. You should always book in advance if you want to stay in Yosemite.

The other place to go and visit is the Sequoia and Kings Canyon Park or SEKI as it is called. Here is a link to the General Sherman tree at SEKI

www.nps.gov/seki/naturescience/sherman.htm

you can read about both parks through the nps.gov sites

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Nevada
Sierra Nevada
7 Reviews
California
General Sherman Tree
General Sherman Tree
1,849 Reviews
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, CA
St Germans...
Level Contributor
24 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

Thank you for the information you have provided. May sounds like the best time for us to visit. It is a good time here in the UK as well .We live in the countryide in England and love nature. Both species of Redwoods were introduced to England in the 1850s and there are some quite large specimens here but nothing on the scale of those in California.

Cheers Robert

Mentioned in this post
Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

Hi,

I live in the mountains. Summer & fall are the best times for exploring the woods. In the spring there is lingering snow & that path or dirt road that you were so excited to explore may be blocked a mile in--frustrating!

P.S.

If you get the chance I bet you'd love a loop that includes the northern redwoods (Redwood National Park), Crater Lake, Mt Shasta, Mt Lassen National Park, and Tahoe. Mt Lassen has over 700 species of plants--one reason is because of the meeting of the Sierra Nevada, Cascade Range, and Great Basin. Some of the plants exist only here.

Mentioned in this post
Redwood National Park
Redwood National Park
949 Reviews
Redwood National Park, CA
Mount Shasta
Mount Shasta
California
Mount Lassen
Mount Lassen
440 Reviews
Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA
Sierra Nevada
Sierra Nevada
7 Reviews
California
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

The best place to see the Sierra Sequoias is Sequoia National Park - about a 6 hour drive from SF. The best place to stay is in the park, at Wuksachi Lodge (although the Kings Canyon Accomodations are nice too and the redwoods in Kings Canyon are amazing).

SNP contains the largest contiguous old growth Giant Sequoias, and all that entails (meadows, ecosystems made by downed giants, lots of creatures and flowers).

Mentioned in this post
Sierra Lodge
Sierra Lodge
472 Reviews
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
148 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Wuksachi Lodge
Wuksachi Lodge
2,541 Reviews
Kings Canyon
Kings Canyon
820 Reviews
cambs
Level Contributor
539 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

hi guys

the trees are magnificent are they not! really heart-lifting

we have seen them in 2 locations

the coastal variety - particularly tall in armstrong national park which lies a couple of hours drive north of san fran

the coast to the north of san fran is magnificent - and very quiet!!!

cross the golden gate bridge then turn off left onto cal 1

perhaps overnight in point reyes np or close by

then up the coast and head inland to armsrong np on way to clistoga in napa valley and from ther to lake tahoe then yosemite

yosemite is absolutely outstanding my fav place in california and the grove of the giant sequoias near the south entramce to the park is fantastic

you may have trouble accessing yosemite in the deep part of winter!

id say visit fom apr-oct

St Germans...
Level Contributor
24 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

A big thank you to all those who have posted with such a lot of great information. It is much appreciated . I have the maps out to study all the routes suggested and searching through the accommodation . I think it sounds best if we hire a car and drive ourselves although I will have to get used to driving on the other side of the road. It looks like May will be the best time to visit.

Greetings from Cornwall England

Cheers Rob

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,003 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

If you are thinking of taking travelingruner's suggestion of a loop including Crater Lake, be aware that there will be heavy snow at CL in May.

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

I meant for another visit.

St Germans...
Level Contributor
24 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

Thanks for more advice may be early October could be a better time to visit?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,014 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giant Redwood Trees- Where, How and When to visit?

Hi Robertscargill

October can be a great time to visit. Any month is great! You have to determine your priorities and your travel style, and to make the best decision for you.

May: longer hours of daylight, waterfalls full in Yosemite so very crowded, kids still in school, snow still on the ground at higher elevations, some high country roads (Crater Lake in Oregon, Tuolumne Meadows in Yosemite, some roads in Sequoia/Kings Canyon) closed

Oct: shorter hours of daylight, waterfalls trickling, kids back in school, usually warm, possible fall rains beginning, snow melted from the high country (but an early season storm could have a few flurries), some places with nice fall leaves (not magnificent, but nice)

Are you thinking about that fabulous loop that travelingrunner suggested? Do you want to see waterfalls? How much time do you want to spend with the magnificent trees?

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Tuolumne Meadows
Tuolumne Meadows
490 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
148 Reviews
Kernville, CA