We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relaxing and quiet beach vacation

Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
relaxing and quiet beach vacation

Hi folks, looking for advice! We're staying in San Fran then travelling down towards LA area.

We are looking to take in a weeks vacation somewhere between San Fran and LA (or slightly further) that will have a bit of a beach (smaller and more quiet the better), really a bit of a relaxing and romantic beach vacation where we can pop out to nice smaller restaurants, nightlife is low and it really is just pretty intimate.

I've had some suggestions - santa monica, laguna beach, coronado, huntington beach, san diago.

need your thoughts - what's small romantic, intamite and ideally somewhere we can rent an apartment or the likes? We're mid thirties, no kids. All ideas gratefully received! Thanks, Edinburgh, Scotland,

PS: what will the weather be like 20th Sept for a week?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

September in California is warm, dry and sunny. Sometimes even hot, but at the coast it doesn't get as hot. One of the best times of the year for visiting California as it is less crowded than the peak of the summer. If you want quiet, small, romantic, I would cross off Santa Monica, Huntington Beach and Coronado from your list as those are large, highly populated places. Areas that would be more like what you are seeking include Carmel, Big Sur area, Cambria, Santa Barbara area like maybe Summerland, Laguna Beach, Del Mar or La Jolla. If you really want to go in the ocean, the further south you go the warmer it will be, though even at La Jolla it's going to be about 60 to 65 degrees, pretty chilly if you ask me. If you really want isolation and to come face to face with stark, elemental nature, pick some place in Big Sur.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,976 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

Downtown Ventura (hotels, b and b's) would qualify, I think. Quiet, some night life on weekends (not a lot), intimate places to eat - lots of choice, no reservations needed. Nice smaller restaurants abound.

There are two chain hotels - Bella Maggiore might have more atmosphere, but not its own strip of beach - but a beach is nearby. Don't stay at the Clock Tower (see TripAdvisor reviews). Inn at the Beach is near the beach, but walking distance to only its own area's little strip of restaurants - very quiet, definitely has its own strip of beach. Restaurants nearby are varied but not fancy or expensive - and within a mile down the beach there are many others.

Marriot Beach Hotel doesn't actually have its own strip of beach - but it might as well have, as a state beach park is right across the street. Like Inn at the Beach, though, the downtown restaurants are not right nearby.

Crowne Plaza has views - but the beach is very much shared with others, although it's a great beach as it's one of the better surf breaks in SoCal and you get to watch surfing. It is near the downtown restaurants, though.

I'd say all the beaches in Ventura are fairly quiet...

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,937 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

For quiet and relatively isolated, how about Avila Beach or Cambria. But keep in mind that the farther south you go, the warmer the water and air will be. Not sure if the water is swimmable late September in north/central California. Late Sept. is a great time, typically warm weather-- but California is not tropical, and the water is fairly cold. Water will be warmer in Orange County, say in Laguna.

Level Contributor
35,446 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

We love spending time at Laguna Beach, we have spent two anniversaries there, we also really enjoy Carmel for a romantic getaway. La Playa or the Tickle Pink Inn would be great choices for romantic places to stay in the Carmel area. :)

Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

Thank you to you all that replied so quickly and with really very good suggestions! Will get onto it tonight.

Thanks again for your advice. Lance, Scotland

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

There are excellent choices above, although I've never been to Avila. My favorite would probably be Carmel. It's pretty upscale, though, so if you're a bargain hunter it may not be the place. One of the advantages of Carmel is its proximity to Big Sur and Moneterey - some easy day trips. This would also afford you the opportunity to spend a couple of days in San Francisco at the beginning or at the end of your trip.

Although I do like Laguna Beach, it may not be remote enough for me to consider it "intimate." When I lived in Laguna Hills, we could easily pop down after work if we wanted, and the same is true for most of the folks in south Orange County.

Check out VRBO for rental opportunities in these towns.

Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

Top tips, will be sure to check them out, thanks lots.

Shell Beach...
Destination Expert
for Big Sur
Level Contributor
2,995 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

Carmel is upscale, lovely, and quiet, but my favorite place is Avila Beach, which some others have mentioned. As long as there's not a holiday (and there's not one around Sep. 20), there are very few people around midweek.

It feels very secluded because it's hemmed in by high hills on three sides, and there's only one road into the town itself. Avila Beach also has the advantage of being shielded from the prevailing sea breezes by the bulk of Point San Luis, a finger of land jutting into the Pacific to the northwest. This means that Avila is one of the warmest beaches on the central California coast.

Here are some photos of the place:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6061760

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7366089

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7378499

Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

Thank you, this looks like a really great option, pics are fab!

10. Re: relaxing and quiet beach vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 04, 2010