We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
488 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

I'm from England and don't understand the difference between the various types of accommodation. I'd guess a lodge has fewer facilities than a hotel, but if that's the case, I'm unsure about lodge/motel distinction.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this for me.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

A Hotel is a building with interior corridors that the various rooms are off of. A Motel is short for Motor Hotel. It does not have interior corridors, and a Lodge is either, usually a Hotel, in a rustic area and the building itself is also rustic. Of course, these are not rules or even guidelines, and any property can be called what ever the owner wishes. Have you tried going to Wikipedia to see what it says on the subject? Chuck...

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,366 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

Depends where. Lodge often have a small restaurant. Motels have absolutely no amenities at all, apart from your room and a bathroom - sometimes there's a laundry facility that you can use with a fee.

Hotels have different amenities depending on the stars, with 5 stars being tops.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

The designation of lodge depends on how the establishment views itself. In many cases, you will find lodges up in the mountains at ski resorts or at beaches. There is a Lodge at Pebble Beach which is an exclusive golf resort. The lodges may have as many or more services than a hotel, since you would expect destination tourism at a lodge.

I think that hotel is universal and will vary in star rating depending on services offered. The lodges will be rated on the same criteria.

Motels are generaly quick stops for tourists and offer far less services and are genrally cheaper.

Motels will generally have drive up parking for easy in and out.

Hope that this helps.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
488 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

Is there a star system for lodges? I've read a few tripadvisor reports that say "it's only a lodge, what do you expect" that gives me the idea that they are more basic accommodations.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,393 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

David,

Please reread my response. A lodge has the same rating system as a hotel. You can go from the basic to a 5 star resort(golf,etc) as I mentioned above.

Lodge is simply a type of hotel as determined by the owners or by a historical designation.

Hope that this helps.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

Many "Motels" have interior corridors & have for years especially in colder climates. I can personally think of a couple of dozen such that I have stayed in.

In todays "jargon" the names do not mean what the once did.

Motels were basic no frills cheaper accommodations but today many serve at least a continental breakfast & some in fact have cafés & even bars. More have swimming pools than not.

Much Leeway has been taken with the term Lodge which once brought up visions on Mountains, seas, forests Etc but now may be in the heart of a large city.

Almost all City hotels will charge you for parking & most motels will not.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,009 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

I think all these designations are really very subjective. There are many motels that offer lots of amenities like free computer usage,coffeemakers, fridge,and microwave in your room + pool bkfst etc.

The star system applies to motels and hotels alike.

A"lodge" can be anything from the 5*****hotel The Lodge at Torrey Pines, to a hunting lodge in the woods with only basic amenities.

You cannot go by the name of the place but read up on each one and you will find what you want.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,995 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

Agree with peddler and riffsmom that the differences between "motel" and "hotel" is at times negligible. And the newer the properties, the more the distinction blurs.

For example: "Comfort Inn" used to be clean but pretty basic inexpensive lodging, built on the older motel style - with outside walkways. Now they are for all intents and purposes hotels, as they have inside hallways, free breakfasts, wi-fi, swimming pools, fridges/micros in rooms, fax service and other amenities, including jacuzzi suites. The only difference might be that yes, they do have free parking . . . and still a lower price!

The lodges, as stated above, are all over the board. If you are looking at a "lodge" inside a *National Park*, the amenities will most likely be limited, the rooms small and it will be old.

Don't feel bad, David, many of us here don't really try to understand the distinctions between them all. Just make your selections based upon location, price and/or amenities.

If you are undecided about some properties, check the "reviews" section and also throw out some motel/hotel names on the forums for more input.

9. Re: What's the difference between lodges /hotels/motels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, October 08, 2009