We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sacramento to Crescent City

ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sacramento to Crescent City

Is it possible to leave Sacramento's airport at about noon and get to Crescent City in the evening if I want to drive over to Leggett first and then up 101 to ride through the redwood area as much as possible?

Or does it make a whole lot more sense to drive up I5 as much as possible, and then cut over to the Eureka area.

Any input would be appreciated.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

If this is the summer then you would most certainly have sufficient daylight hours to do this drive. It's about 4 hours to Leggett on 20 west and then 101 and then another nearly 4 hours to Crescent City. In June and July it doen't get super dark until well after 9:00 pm.

San Francisco
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

The farthest north you should go on I-5 is Hwy 20, then cut west to US 101 at Ukiah. It's a more direct route from Sacramento than zig-zagging across the north end of SF Bay from Fairfield/Vallejo area to 101.

Friends who thought CA 299 would be a shortcut from Redding to the coast have found themselves on a long, long, winding road. Try it sometime when you have a full day.

Also, 299 enters the redwood belt only in the last few miles approaching the coast, whereas on 101 you're in the redwoods (or thereabouts) for an hour or two before you hit the coast at Arcata/Crescent City.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,930 posts
5,902 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

Both of the above have excellent suggestions.

One suggestion is...If you ahve more time to explore, you might want to spend one night in Garberville and explore the Avenue of the Giants area and then proceed up to Crescent City. This will make it more leisuarely and enjoyable as so much wonderful areas to see.

If however you need to do it one day, definitely you can do as already stated.

ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

I'm planning to go from Sacramento to Crescent City via I-5 to Hwy 20 and then over to US 101 at Ukiah, on 6/30/08. Are my travel plans going to be impacted much due to the wildfires in Northern California?

We are only spending 1 night in Crescent City and then going to Oregon. We are hoping to have a little time in the Redwood National Park and wanted to know how bad things are in that area and areas approaching.

Red Bluff, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

Hwy 20 has one-way traffic due to construction so that is probably not a great option. Hwy 299 out of Redding is closed westbound due to fires. Also, it is very smoky everywhere north of Sacramento in the valley. I would suggest you head north out of the Bay Area rather than trying to get to Crescent City via I-5.

ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

So what specific route could get me to the redwood area in a reasonable timeframe without getting into smoke issues, road closings, and/or road construction?

Red Bluff, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

From the airport, take I-5 south to I-80 west (toward San Francisco) to Hwy. 37 west (toward San Rafael) to Hwy. 101 north all the way to Crescent City.

ky
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

I assume this is going to save me some time under the current scenario of construction delays, road closures, etc. If there were no problems, do you know how much longer this new route is over the one that I had planned on using?

9. Re: Sacramento to Crescent City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, September 30, 2009