We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Big Sur and Yosemite

Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Topic
Big Sur and Yosemite

Hello trippers!

I've searched thru the forums on advice to plan a trip covering Big Sur and Yosemite but I'd really benefit from those of you well-traveled in the region.

My husband and I are planning a 7D6N trip to the West Coast from NYC. We have seen San Francisco a few times, we've also done Napa. So we decided to fly into San Jose instead. Our tix are booked -NYC-SJC-NYC = Landing 1pm on June 29th, Departing 10:35 pm on July 5th.

We plan to drive from San Jose to Monterey, Carmel making our way down as far as Pismo Beach (We're aware of road closures on Highway 1). We plan to turn west to Sequoia National Park/Forest and head up Yosemite, then back to San Jose in time for our flights.

So far, the only reservation I have is for Half Dome Village for the night of the 4th. Everything else is open. Would love an itinerary suggestion for everything in between, including stops, food, lodging.

Our background - we are foodies, like being outdoors,and scenic drives and easy hikes (easy because this is our baby moon :) which will limit us somewhat).

We are also open to driving as far down as LA and Joshua Tree but we realize it might be pushing it a bit. Then again, I'm active and will happily watch the sights as we drive along.

Please help us plan an unforgettable trip. TIA.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
San Jose
San Jose
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
147 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Half Dome Village
Half Dome Village
3,874 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
11 replies to this topic
San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
602 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

A 6N trip from SF to include both Yosemite and Big Sur, is like flying into NYC with plans to see the city with trips to Boston and Philadelphia thrown in for 6N. Big Sur and Yosemite are accross the state from each other, and each sould take 3 nights in a rush. To add thoughts of extending to Pismo Beach or Joshua Tree NP is incomprehensible.

First, consider that 6 nights is in reality a trip of 5 days, not 7, as the end days are lost to air travel. I would build on your Yosemite reservations, perhaps adding Lake Tahoe or Sequoia, and omit the coast, considering constraints of your schedule.

Mentioned in this post
Big Sur
Big Sur
California
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
147 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,022 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

HI

I am not sure you're entirely familiar with the Hwy 1 road closure. Your drive would be more like ...

We plan to drive from San Jose to Monterey / Carmel making our way

down Highway 1 and stopping at the most scenic spots that we have chosen. Then we will drive north on Hwy 1 back to Monterey. We'll detour to Salinas on Hwy 68 and then head south on Hwy 101 to ...

Pismo Beach.

That much is at least a few nights.

Yosemite could easily fill 3 full days. As this is the holiday, expect lots & lots of traffic. Try to find another night's lodging in or near Yosemite.

Friday Jun 29: Arrive SJC. Pick up reserved rental car and drive to Santa Cruz? Moss Landing? then Monterey/Carmel.

Sat Jun 30: All day enjoying Hwy 1. Back to Monterey area

Sun Jul 1: Detour to Pismo Beach. Afternoon tourism.

Mon Jul 2: Across the state to Sequoia National Park. Afternoon tourism.

Tues Jul 3: 4 hour drive to Yosemite.

Wed Jul 4: Yosemite tourism. Sleep Yosemite Valley (booked!)

Thurs Jul 5: Yosemite in the morning, then drive back to San Jose, fly out of SJC

Mentioned in this post
San Jose
San Jose
California
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Salinas
Salinas
California
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
ARRIVE
ARRIVE
277 Reviews
Palm Springs, CA
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
Moss Landing
Moss Landing
California
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
147 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,830 Reviews
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

As I already mentioned in my post, I understand that going all the way to Joshua Tree was prob pushing it - thank you for confirming that.

However, I do actually have 7 full days (see my flight times in the first post) + I have to take the detour once I hit Lucia on HW1 to get anywhere further south. I'm also open to skipping the rest of the coast (I've read on this forum that most ppl think monterey & carmel are the most beautiful parts of the coast). Once I take the detour toward Paso Robles, I could head over to Sequoia, which is a 3hr drive (4 hrs if i go directly from Lucia). Not sure what I am missing in terms of 'drive feasibility'

Please tell me more so I can plan this better.

Mentioned in this post
Joshua Tree
Joshua Tree
California Desert, CA
Lucia Lodge
Lucia Lodge
416 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Paso Robles
Paso Robles
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
147 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
68,022 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

Hi

I think a map may help. https://goo.gl/images/4twLdb

You drive from Monterey down to the road closure or as far south as you need (you choose your 'must do.') That's the most beautiful parts of Hwy 1 ~ not the cities of Monterey & Carmel ~ the coast.

THEN you drive back up the same road. North on Hwy 1 to Monterey.

The next day, you detour to Salinas and then south on Hwy 101.

Mentioned in this post
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Carmel
Carmel
Monterey County, CA
Salinas
Salinas
California
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
19,823 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

There is no feasible detour from Lucia... you return on Hwy. 1 to Monterey, then connect to take Hwy. 101 south. You may be looking at Nacimiento-Ferguson Road, but for a variety of reasons, locals who are familiar with that road discourage visitors from driving it. In any case, when you consider that it saves very little time and adds some risk, it's really not recommended.

PNWF's itinerary accurately reflects the detour. The only change I'd make to her itinerary is the following:

Sat Jun 30: All day enjoying Hwy 1. Back to Monterey area (same)

Sun Jul 1: Across the state to Sequoia National Park. Afternoon tourism.

Mon Jul 2: Sequoia tourism. Sleep Sequoia.

Tues Jul 3: 4 hour drive to Yosemite. Afternoon tourism.

Wed Jul 4: Yosemite tourism. Sleep Yosemite Valley (booked!)

Thurs Jul 5: Yosemite in the morning, then drive back to San Jose, fly out of SJC

Mentioned in this post
Lucia Lodge
Lucia Lodge
416 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Sequoia Lodge
Sequoia Lodge
147 Reviews
Kernville, CA
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,830 Reviews
San Jose
San Jose
California
Washington State
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
68,022 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

SFSusan ~ I put the detour drive to Pismo Beach in my suggested itinerary since it seemed that the Original Poster wanted it. I like your itinerary better!

Mentioned in this post
Pismo Beach
Pismo Beach
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

Thanks for the details. When I looked at Caltrans website, it seemed like I could go as far down as Lucia. Is that still the case? The closures start south of Lucia.

A blog mentioned the Nacimiento-Ferguson road as a detour from Lucia and that was exactly what I had in mind when I posted my previous reply.

I will go back and rethink my itinerary and looks at the one just posted - thankyou!

I’m the mean time, pls give me recommendations for things to do, places to see/eat at/stay..

Mentioned in this post
Lucia Lodge
Lucia Lodge
416 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,610 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

Nacimiento-Ferguson Road is a twisty, narrow mountain road with sheer drop offs, not a major highway. Sections of it are so narrow that if you encounter another vehicle, one of you has to back up until there's a safe area where you can pass each other. It isn't a fast drive, nor for the faint of heart. Plan on it taking at least an hour and a half to get over to Highway 101.

Seriously, though, those of us who know Highway 1 suggest going only as far south as McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, then turning back for Monterey and taking Highway 68 East toward Salinas. You would be on more major roadways with greater cell service.

Mentioned in this post
McWay Falls
McWay Falls
992 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park
Julia Pfeiffer Burns...
1,332 Reviews
Big Sur, CA
Monterey
Monterey
Monterey County, CA
Salinas
Salinas
California
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

July 4th is Independence Day. Yosemite Valley will be like a zoo that day. It is a patriotic thing to do. You will experience parking problems and long queue issues on everything that day. On July 5th, those who book June 30 - July 5 as an extended vacation will be leaving for home. There will be slow moving and car queues exiting the valley. Allow lots of extra time to drive to San Jose. Lots of car causes slow traffic, slow traffic causes impatience, impatience causes people to do stupid things which lead accidents, accidents cause blockage and make the traffic even worst. All it takes is one car buckling another car in front of him on a 1-lane-each-way highway with double yellow lines, you will be blocked for hours. A normal 4-hour drive is not going to be 4-hour on July 5th. That day you cannot count as your "full" day.

Edited: 1:54 am, June 10, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Independence
Independence
California
Yosemite Valley
Yosemite Valley
5,830 Reviews
San Jose
San Jose
California
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Big Sur and Yosemite

Gosh Thank you!

I certainly didn’t keep that last one in mind. I might have to rethink this trip altogether.

Reply to: Big Sur and Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted