We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz

Brisbane, Qld
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Alcatraz

Hi, wanting to do a tour of Alcatraz and wondering where the best hotel would be to stay? I was hoping for somewhere close to where tour departs. I from Australia and will have a rental car so would prefer to not have to drive far once at my hotel. Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz

Go to the SF forum. Go to a browser version of TA. Read the Top Questions.

You have some incorrect assumptions right now.

1) SF is a small sized city. You don't need to be staying "near by" to be close. In fact, I would not recommend staying near Alcatraz unless you like tourist traps.

2) You should not have a rental car in SF. If for some reason you're forced to, unless you want to pay $50+ per night for parking, you're going to be looking outside the downtown area for parking.

Read the SF forum and repost. See you there!

Brisbane, Qld
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz

Thank you, we are Driving from L.A this if why we will have a rental car

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz

>>we are Driving from L.A this if why we will have a rental car<<

Where are you going after San Francisco? Unless you really need to have a car it's a PITA. That said, if you haven't found accommodation, look at hotels along Lombard Street (I'm sure they're mentioned in the Top Question) some of which have free parking. Otherwise you will pay a small fortune in parking fees.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Lombard Street
Lombard Street
14,254 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz

There's much more to see and do in San Francisco than Alcatraz. What else do you have planned for SF?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz

There are lots of hotels at nearby Fisherman's Wharf with paid parking. I'd go to booking.com or hotels.com and do a search on Fisherman's Wharf hotels.

The Columbus Motor Inn is about a 15 minute walk from the Alcatraz Pier. It has free parking.

Otherwise, as mentioned, the hotels with free parking tend to be along Lombard Street. The Royal Pacific Motor Inn, on the border of Chinatown and North Beach, also has free parking.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,971 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Columbus Motor Inn
Columbus Motor Inn
1,295 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Lombard Street
Lombard Street
14,254 Reviews