We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

Hi! We will be driving from Little Rock to Eureka Springs and we would love to make a stop on the Buffalo River and see some elk on the way. I am worried about driving on steep mountain roads since we are from the swamp but I don't mind some hills and curves that are not too bad. Can I please get some advice? I saw on the nps.gov site that I want to go to 21 and 43 to see elk and if anyone out there knows of any cool hikes in the area that don't require a ton of time that would be awesome! Thanks so much!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

Great choice for a drive. I honestly do not think you will for a moment consider the road as "scary." I have driven some scary roads like the one going up Pike's Peak, but this is nothing like that. You will be overwhelmed by the beauty of the area and doubt you will have concerns about the road. I’m sure you know all about the Elk Education Center in Ponca and have probably viewed these websites below to learn about the elks. As to short hikes, you can't beat the hike in Lost Valley, which is right on your way. Unfortunately the waterfalls will probably not be flowing much this time of year, unless there is good rainfall. But it is still real nice. The Boxley Valley is imho the most beautiful spot in Arkansas.

alltrails.com/trail/…lost-valley-trail

http://www.buffaloriver.com/elk-watching/

…about.com/od/…elkinarkansas.htm

agfc.com/education/…EducationCenterPonca.aspx

Florida
Level Contributor
23 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

Thank you so much!

Conway, Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

I'm afraid of high places,I just want to know is going to eureka springs Arkansas going to be nothing but hills and mountains that is really high up

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

No not scary. No cliffs - the City of Eureka just kind of climbs a big hill. It is real pretty. Lots of beautiful Victorian homes. Trust me you will like it!

Conway, Arkansas
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

We are coming from Conway,Arkansas going to eureka springs Arkansas,is the hills really high and how many hills we got to go over

6. Re: Little Rock to Eureka Springs; scary roads? elk?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 18, 2014